• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Size of Generator needed

staker

What size of genset would I need to run a 12 foot shelter with 18,000 BTU/HR air conditioner and lights and all. Thanks

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it a military shelter prewired? If yes, what is thesize of the main breaker?

staker

Yes prewired has a small panel but no main breaker. 100 amp panel I think. It was made as a Dental LaboratoryIMG_2134.jpg

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok thanks alot.
How much stuff do you plan on running at once?

10kW is generally plenty/overkill for a largish house. For 18,000BTU AC and some lights I doubt very seriously you'll need that much.

Count up the amps of the largest combination of things you plan to ever have on all at the same time....

Edit to add example -

An 18,000BTU AC may draw from 12-20 amps of 120v single phase AC current, depending on efficiency. Assume 20 amps just for purposes of discussion. That's 2.4kW. Running ten 100Watt incandescent bulbs adds another kW (3.4kW total). With all this on and running, want to run a power tool? Say an angle grinder? Maybe another 11 amps (1.3kW) for 4.7kW total.

I'm betting the lights are not incandescent. If they're LED this will take off almost all your lighting load. (If they're incandescent change them to LED and save thousands on genset cost)

Even without load management a 5kW MEP802 covers everything easily....

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Since it was military, look at what the wire plug looks like. That should have a sticker nearby, or the type of plug, and how many wires are there.

staker

The only cable outside is a 2 prong plug. i'm thinking for 12 volt. but on my S250 I have a generator and 12 volt hookup panel 230 volt box mounted on the outside.IMG_2144.jpgIMG_2147.jpgIMG_2148 (1).jpg

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

If it is military, then it will have a plug somewhere. That is how the shelter is powered. The plug will lead you to what you will need.

Example below. Military 3 phase power plug.
3 phase plug.jpg

staker

I believe it was never used NOS becuase paint is still like new on the inside and the items in it are new looking, it is Canadian military. I plan on a 2 burner electric stove top the new kind and already has a stove top vent fan installed. And have not looked at the lighting yet but will probably change to led. And it has the diesel heater also.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It all depends on what you want to do.
As others have said, the aircon will take a bit, mostly for the startup surge. I have a 3 ton ECU (so 36000 BTU I believe) that I easily run on a 5KW MEP802A. It sits at about half load, or a little less in aircon mode. In heat mode it's 10KW so my 5kw won't pull it.
Then it's all about whatever else you plan to run. A few LED bulbs will be negligible, incandescents will be significantly more.

You could probably toss in a couple batteries, a solar panel or two on the roof, and then use DC lighting, add an RV fan for ventilation, and not even worry about the generator.

staker

It has a vent fan like for a stove in it. And I have four 1.something amp hour batteries and 2 250 watt solar panels and that is the plan to put the panels on the roof.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks