• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Size of nut for small wire on starter?

TexAndy

Installing a new starter on the 1009 this evening.

Managed to get the large cable on (because I replaced it with a slightly longer cable), then bolted the starter up to the engine.

In the attempt of trying to put the smaller wire on by feel, I managed to lose the nut that holds the wire ring terminal onto the lug.

Anyone happen to know what size it is?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The nut may be the same size as the nuts on the glow plug relay.

Is is the starter a direct drive or gear reduction?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would simply lower it back down and look at it.

I would also suggest you make the connection before bolting it up, to make it easier.

TexAndy

Oh yeah, the funniness. Managed to drop one of the flange bolts out as I was putting the starter in place. Right into my mouth. Chipped one of my front teeth.

Hooray for me.:cry:

cucvrus

The correct socket size is 11/32" the nut is #8 - 32. I hope that helps get you on track. The relay nuts are #10 - 24. Sorry to here about the tooth. Wear a mouth piece next time.

Mg84648

Oh yeah, the funniness. Managed to drop one of the flange bolts out as I was putting the starter in place. Right into my mouth. Chipped one of my front teeth.

Hooray for me.:cry:
Dude that is funny! I just removed and reinstalled my starter last week and dropped the outboard bolt on my face! Luckily I had my mouth closed but that's all I could think about was " man if my mouth was open I would be looking like Loyd from dumb and dumber"
sorry, not that you look like Loyd or anything,,,,,,,, ok ill shut up now:)

cucvrus

Oh yes while you have the M10 flanged starter bolts out. Do yourself a favor and put new ones in. Do not reuse them and make sure the support bracket is in place. And yes I have freind make me up 10 of the direct drive starter support brackets. They are a direct duplicate of the OEM. I thought I would mention them.

TexAndy

Oh yes while you have the M10 flanged starter bolts out. Do yourself a favor and put new ones in. Do not reuse them and make sure the support bracket is in place. And yes I have freind make me up 10 of the direct drive starter support brackets. They are a direct duplicate of the OEM. I thought I would mention them.

Thanks, I have the gear reduced version, which uses a different bracket. I have the bracket for both, tho.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks