• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sketchy clutch

SSG ALBANESE

The past couple of rides in the deuce have been worrisome.

When I first get her going for the day I always check the gears while parked. Clutch in, run the stick through and make sure it goes, sometimes I have to release the clutch a tiny bit for the gears to engage.

The issue is that it is becoming hard to shift. Either locked in one gear or won’t get into the next. I found if I coast in neutral and pump the clutch 4-6 times it shifts like a champ.

I have looked into the forum search and found some replacement clutch stuff but nothing to the nature of my issue.

The TM wants me to check all the fluids... did that.

Any idea's, maybe I am missing something.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked to see if your oil leaks are getting to the clutch ? She is a leaky one

It is better to start 1 thread on the problems with your truck than start several different ones . With 1 thread people trying to help you know the other issues as they may be related . It give people a better idea of what has been done and what hasn't .

Also more specfic titles than " She's a leaky one " makes future searches more user friendly for the next member needing help . Not trying to get down on you , just trying to help you keep the forum user friendly . People complain they searched and couldn't find anything and that mostly because of bad titles.

Last edited:

SSG ALBANESE

Have you checked to see if your oil leaks are getting to the clutch ? She is a leaky one

It is better to start 1 thread on the problems with your truck than start several different ones . With 1 thread people trying to help you know the other issues as they may be related . It give people a better idea of what has been done and what hasn't .

Also more specfic titles than " She's a leaky one " makes future searches more user friendly for the next member needing help . Not trying to get down on you , just trying to help you keep the forum user friendly . People complain they searched and couldn't find anything and that mostly because of bad titles.
Hey I take it constructive criticism, its good advice. I suppose I didn’t make them the same post because the oil leaks are separate from the shifting issue and never thought the two could affect one another. Can it?

Ahhh wait, I suppose the real head could leak down to the clutch housing. Ok, is it lunch time yet??? I want to go home and check ;)-

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked the gear oil level in the transmission ? It should be about a 1/2 below the fill hole , you don't want to overfill it as it will leak out the front into the clutch.

Edit; pumping the clutch get the syncronizers spinning

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thought you had a thread about getting a PTO , did you get it and install it ?
If not shimmed correctly it will make the transmission shift hard.

eagle4g63

Just a thought....or question. Depends on how anyone takes it......

IF you have an oil leak and it is getting on the clutch....then that shouldn't have anything to do with the trans being hard to shift......the clutch, when you push down on the pedal....releases the pressure on the plate, in essence LOTS of SLIP so the gears aren't spinning....back to the oil, if on the clutch would cause slippage.....no motivation when the clutch is NOT pushed in and you WANT it to grab.

OR is all that just not right....I am mechanically minded and have had many cars and trucks many of them where stick shift..... IF you are having trouble shifting gears and you suspect it to be a clutch problem then the only thing that can be wrong is when you push on the clutch pedal you don't move the throw out bearing far enough to dis engage it!!! only solution is to adjust linkage....also this problem shouldn't get worse as the clutch wears...would only get better....slippage while IN gear will get worse with age of the clutch.

Just food for thought...since every time I read someone asking about having trouble shifting from one gear to the next the thought of oil getting on the clutch comes up, and I don't see any reason it should....it has no bearing on that problem...could cause other ones though.

Other that spinning the syncros...pumping the pedal does nothing else on a mechanical linked clutch like these trucks have....if it had a hydraulic clutch like a lot of tuner cars that yes that could have an effect on the clutch itself....meaning you would need to rebuild either the master or slave cylinder or just plain bleed the system to remove any air.

I would have to say that there could be a binding on the pilot bearing, not allowing the trans shaft to turn freely and separately from the flywheel when the clutch is released, causing a slight drag on the input shaft making it act like the clutch is still engaged...make sense?

SSG ALBANESE

Just a thought....or question. Depends on how anyone takes it......

IF you have an oil leak and it is getting on the clutch....then that shouldn't have anything to do with the trans being hard to shift......the clutch, when you push down on the pedal....releases the pressure on the plate, in essence LOTS of SLIP so the gears aren't spinning....back to the oil, if on the clutch would cause slippage.....no motivation when the clutch is NOT pushed in and you WANT it to grab.

OR is all that just not right....I am mechanically minded and have had many cars and trucks many of them where stick shift..... IF you are having trouble shifting gears and you suspect it to be a clutch problem then the only thing that can be wrong is when you push on the clutch pedal you don't move the throw out bearing far enough to dis engage it!!! only solution is to adjust linkage....also this problem shouldn't get worse as the clutch wears...would only get better....slippage while IN gear will get worse with age of the clutch.

Just food for thought...since every time I read someone asking about having trouble shifting from one gear to the next the thought of oil getting on the clutch comes up, and I don't see any reason it should....it has no bearing on that problem...could cause other ones though.

Other that spinning the syncros...pumping the pedal does nothing else on a mechanical linked clutch like these trucks have....if it had a hydraulic clutch like a lot of tuner cars that yes that could have an effect on the clutch itself....meaning you would need to rebuild either the master or slave cylinder or just plain bleed the system to remove any air.

I would have to say that there could be a binding on the pilot bearing, not allowing the trans shaft to turn freely and separately from the flywheel when the clutch is released, causing a slight drag on the input shaft making it act like the clutch is still engaged...make sense?
This does make sense. Thanks for the insight. Now this is my only vehicle I have had that is manual trans but I know something is being done when I pump the clutch. Before pumping I am clutch to the floor and I have to force the shift and attempt them 2-3 times before shifting. When I put it in nuetral and pump the clutch 5-6 times the shifting can be done with ease.

btcoutermash

Could it be that one of the levers on the pressure plate are broke or the thread stripped? I had a similar issue with my clutch. The lever arms pivot is threaded into a nut of sorts, and on my pivot, the nut kept backing out. This cause the clutch disc to disengage crooked do to one lever not working. So it was actually handing up on both the flywheel surface and pressure plate thrust surface..

SteveKuhn

Perhaps far-fetched but you might want to check the transfer case mounts for tightness. In the process of troubleshooting mine popping out of high range, we replaced bushings and torqued all mounting bolts to spec.

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the transfer case pop out but my transmission (which had shifted fine then started to be tough to get into gear and occasionally grind) went back to shifting fine.

I thought I might have 2 independent problems where the transmission was a victim of a loose transfer case.

Might be worth a check.

Steve

SSG ALBANESE

Steve you may be on to something. I have found many loose bolts running around. I find them occasionally. I will be under the truck this weekend checking all the bolts again.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks