• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Skid Marks from Towing

Hammer

Actually, the older manual DID suggest using a second driver for the disabled vehicle.
BRACKET TOWING

They later revised it though.

As for tow truck drivers tying the steering wheel.
We only do that if you are pulling the vehicle backwards. That way you have the steering wheels track straight like rear wheels normally would.
If the disabled vehicle is lifted in the front, it isn't a big deal to tie the wheel. But it isn't needed unless you have issues with the way you secure the front wheels. Different in different states for that part. But that doesn't really apply to FLAT towing.

As for flat towing, I like to 'test the waters' with a setup before I hit the road. If in tighter turns it crosses the front wheels, I extend the tow bar until it tracks fine. And if it does well in slow/tight turns, they have always worked well for me on the road.

And yes, I have towed with a driver in the disabled vehicle before. Made the slow turns SO much easier and less stressful! Still illegal, but I wasn't worried about that part at the time.

Alredneck

Banned
Attaching the towbar to the axle clamps does improve towing but in tight turns on some trucks is still a issue! Thats one reason I bought my gooseneck. Now I need a longer one the can haul two truck!

blybrook

This is not about towed vehicle but in answer to your 5th wheel question.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Unfortunately this site is severely outdated and has false information for several states. It hasn't been updated in at least 10 years as Alaska hasn't permitted triple trailers for at least that long.

Their footnote about it being gathered from third party sources is their saving grace since it shouldn't be relied upon for any reason. aua I have read that some states, ND/ SD will permit riders in 5th wheel trailers with proper communication devices, but any trailer than 5th wheel was illegal (pulled from their online trailer law).

I have yet to find a definitive listing online of all states that references the towing laws accurately.

papercu

It hasn't been updated in at least 10 years as Alaska hasn't permitted triple trailers for at least that long.
You may want to read this. Wayne
From the State of Alaska effective April 9, 2009 (Register 190), 17 AAC 25.014. Allowable Long Combination Vehicle Length on Certain Routes
(d) A long combination vehicle configured in a truck-tractor and a triple cargo carrying vehicle combination may operate only on the Glenn and Parks Highways, AK-1 and AK-3, between Anchorage and Fairbanks during the period from May 1 through September 30 of each year by permit issued under this chapter, with notice provided by the applicant to municipalities along the route

http://dot.alaska.gov/mscve/webdocs/17AAC25.pdf

blybrook

You may want to read this. Wayne
From the State of Alaska effective April 9, 2009 (Register 190), 17 AAC 25.014. Allowable Long Combination Vehicle Length on Certain Routes
(d) A long combination vehicle configured in a truck-tractor and a triple cargo carrying vehicle combination may operate only on the Glenn and Parks Highways, AK-1 and AK-3, between Anchorage and Fairbanks during the period from May 1 through September 30 of each year by permit issued under this chapter, with notice provided by the applicant to municipalities along the route

http://dot.alaska.gov/mscve/webdocs/17AAC25.pdf
Yes, I will agree with you to a point. This link is for commercial rigs, not personally owned RV's (non-commercial) as stated by the first website link (Class D License). So the first link is not correct.

Those highways do not permit you access out of the state, only from Anchorage to Fairbanks along the Parks & Glenn Hwys; you cannot get into or out of the state or to most of the RV parks. The semi's do this to get more product between the dock in Anchorage and the suppliers in Fairbanks (and along the route) without waiting for the train.

If a non-commercial rig is driving down the highway with 2 trailers, the troopers will pull you over, ticket you, make you drop one of the trailers, continue on to your destination and then come back for the other (there are no exceptions). There are no triples permitted. I have seen it happen many times between Anchorage and Seward or Kenai.

Now Michigan does allow a double trailer, provided the first is a fifth wheel and the driver has taken the required test to get a "RR" on their drivers license. Alaska has no such capability.

Bill

lavarok

This is an interesting thread. I recently had an issue with flat towing a truck. One day it towed fine through many tight turns...no issues...tracked beautifully. 4 weeks later, different pull vehicle (still a M35) but same tow bar length and towed truck, except every turn was a nightmare until we finally said screw it and just drove both trucks.

Does lengthening the towbar really help solve this issue? I have kept it nice and short in the past.

Hammer

Lengthening the tow bar absolutely helps with this!
I like to run it as short as will work. Shorter = stronger.
But even at full length they are rated for 14,000 lbs.

dmetalmiki

safety first

I always tow at 40 mph or less. My deuces also have "Emergeancy" glad hand couplings at front to assist in braking. On soft going (into a show field) we have a driver steer assisting the towed vehicle.
Legal issues here are, LIGHT connect between vehicles. Brake ( air) assist Between Vehicles. Appropriate DRIVING licence IN TYPE. I tie off ALLWAYS steering wheels AT A REASNABLE ARC. (follow to turn- anything else..HOLD IT!)
Have to say..the wrecker aint fussed WHAT the (a) deuce does! it will pull it out no matter what!, with NO "feeling effect" at the wheel whatsoever. I have pulled two behind the M62. as It is classed as a "heavy locomotive". 20 MPH. thats IT. NO CHANCES TAKEN>. (licence in type of course.) H.G.V. (L.G.V). class 1. err.. yes..it draws "some" attention!. ..(or......KRAZ..PRAGA...JEEP..nice.."train!)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks