• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Skullmaster's bobbed 1969 M35A2

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. What are your plans for that custom bed? Anything different, or is it going to be a cargo bed?

Skullmaster

just a cargo bed. I just wanted it to look more porportional than the trailer beds that everyone else uses. I will be putting a small load crane in the back corner of the bed incase I ever need it. Hopefully will be getting the sheetmetal on the bed this week and then start the painting proces. going with od green

tommys2patrick

looks good. I like your proportions on the layout. I noticed you ran the wheel wells all the way back to the frame. Ease of fabrication? Or in case you went back to duals later?

Skullmaster

actually I will be trimming down the fenders so they are not all the way to the frame, I over compensated a little when I sheared the metal. I want to have atleast 4' between the fenders if I ever need to haul pkywood or sheetrock with it. I think I may only cut them down inside the box, thus leaving them wide at the bottom so I can put a full 2ft mud flap on there

Skullmaster

the spare tire will be getting taken off and replaced with another fuel tank or a custom built tool box. I am leaning more towards a tool box, unless I convert a gas tank into a tool box, now thats an idea!

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the spare tire will be getting taken off and replaced with another fuel tank or a custom built tool box. I am leaning more towards a tool box, unless I convert a gas tank into a tool box, now thats an idea!
I like the fuel tank tool box idea. I haven't seen that done before.

Since you're dropping the OEM spare do you plan to carry a 395 spare? If so, what's the plan to mount it? One of the other threads recently had some good discussion about spare mounting. There just isn't much room on a bobbed truck for a large spare wheel.

Skullmaster

I do have a spare 395/85/20 that I was thinking of having standing up on one side in the bed. These hemmtt rims are easy enough do take apart and assemble if I really had to but I hope that will never happen (knocks on wood). As much as I would like to keep a spare in that spot on the frame, I think it would look much better with a tool box there. I will be installing a small 1000lbs jib crane in the back corner of the box to lift things like the spare and other random stuff.

Dipstick

I like it. Light but strong construction. I've always thought about fabbing a bomb hoist for my bobber or converting it to a light duty wrecker/winch truck. How does your truck pull with the tall tires in 4th and 5th? Are grades a problem?

Skullmaster

Dipstick - I do not know how it pulls with the big tires, I do not have a trailer to pull behind it. I have not taken it up any hills either so I am not sure how it will handle there either. I do know that the tires added about 5mph to my top speed. Sorry I didnt have much help there

UPDATE: I started tacking on the lip of the rear fenders to somewhat match the front, Its not perfect because the front fenders look stamp formed, so I am just going for the general look here. And then there is pictures

20130822_181424.jpg20130822_181413.jpg

Skullmaster

Working on the sheet metal today. I would have been farther but it has been very hot here all week and when you weld all day at work, the last thing you want to do is go home and weld some more lol

1277464_10151780500532182_777782643_o.jpg

BleedDemon

I love the window height bed. That's one thing that irks me about the m105 trailer beds. What a good-looking rig. Mine would be VERY similar, but a crew cab 6x6. Those wheels/tires are quite handsome. ODG would look great on this truck. Keep postin pics!!!!