• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Sky Sweeper"

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Does anyone know anything about the 170mm (5 inch) "Sky Sweeper" radar guided anti-aircraft gun? Of particular interest is how to transport it. My Legion post has one sited at our old Post HQ and we would like to move it to our new HQ building. Thanks for any help you can offer. :)

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There is one near me that still has wheels under it. It is like one of the 180mm towed artillery pieces...it had a set of wheels that could be removed. The legs you see in the pic folded together to form the frame of the piece when it was towed.
I have some pics if I can find them.

The PIG Smith

Or to keep the thugs away:shock:
OOO YESSS!!!
Would nice to have an electric beam that was like a fence around my place.
When a bad guy would break the beam, he would have a 75mm of fully automatic can of woop ass opened up on himself!

This would even work on the pesky neighbor's dog that has been trained to crap in my yard.
...might even be a good solution the to pesky neighbor...

Wow...so many practical uses, so little ammo to waste.

LanceRobson

Hmmm....I suspect a commercial crane outfit could sling the rascal ontl a trailer. How far do you have to move it and how busy are the roads? For something like this move you'd likely get a lot of support from the different highway departments and towns involved as far as moving down the road.

Looking at the picture I'm guessing it's less than 10' tall so a lowboy trailer should git'er done.

Of course, if you want to put the project into the "too hard box" I'll come and get it :p Nancy has been shopping for a cannon for the flagpole here at the farm for three years.

Lance

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leo Porter (of M715 parts and build fame) had one at his yard in Dallas years ago, he towed it there with a M715 (repowered). They are not oversized or very heavy.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the offer to "come and get it," Lance. Unfortunately, it is still official government property. It is only on loan from the Army for public display by the Legion. I'm afraid your wife will have to keep shopping! :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks