• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slant Back - C Pillar Replacement (Turret Restoration)

F.A. Duk

Beginning my M1045 turret restoration project (100% of my turret parts in hand) and was looking for assistance on the proper C Pillar replacement/upgrade process. I believe I will need to remove at least on SPONSON.

Having never done this before I believe I need to remove a small riveted piece of molding between the sponson and the body as well as break a seal b/t the sponson and the rear quarter panel?

Any tips or unexpected problems I should prepare for?

Gamble

Beginning my M1045 turret restoration project (100% of my turret parts in hand) and was looking for assistance on the proper C Pillar replacement/upgrade process. I believe I will need to remove at least on SPONSON.

Having never done this before I believe I need to remove a small riveted piece of molding between the sponson and the body as well as break a seal b/t the sponson and the rear quarter panel?

Any tips or unexpected problems I should prepare for?
Just had mine done. Retiredwarhorses is your guy for this.

TOM R

you need to remove the hatch assembly, remove the plastic filler thing, unbolt and remove one sponson, assuming the roof is off already

the seal is self adheasive one side, either body or sponson i dont recall

Btharbold

Following. I have a 1045A2 that I would like to put the turret back into at some point if I can locate an assembly that is reasonable. Sounds like the good repro C pillars have dried up. Black Dogs new version might be the best one to get?

TOM R

Following. I have a 1045A2 that I would like to put the turret back into at some point if I can locate an assembly that is reasonable. Sounds like the good repro C pillars have dried up. Black Dogs new version might be the best one to get?
go in the hot rodding section look at my m1114 roof build, making a c pillar is not hard

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Define reasonable…every Customer who has called over the last 3yrs or so has regretted not buying at least the turret support at that time, only for the price to double, it’s not going to better, its a Mfg discontinued item with more demand than supply Now, being made worse every week after the auctions sell more of the same demilled trucks.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, I have that unit and I’m happy to measure it out and work with you to make aftermarket units. Whenever you have made an aftermarket unit it is always perfect.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, I have that unit and I’m happy to measure it out and work with you to make aftermarket units. Whenever you have made an aftermarket unit it is always perfect.
turret supports? Not going to happen, looked into this Some time ago…I have a couple turret supports here, just not for sale at the moment.

F.A. Duk

The Support Ring was and is the critical item. I looked for over two years and still spent more than what I wanted. In time, due to supply/demand and the fact the Humvee is no longer being used I suspect the prices to continue to go up. I'd sell my today for $10K (all parts included)