• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slant Back Roof Leaks

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear hatch seal is 12339595 for steel rear hatch
12480634 rear seal on flee bay is cheap, but only for thicker aluminum hatch.

Gamble

2 questions for you all:

1. Does it make sense to take the roof delete (cover) off and take it to a body shop where they can weld metal in and sand it down to make it smooth and perfect? It can then be repainted.
2. Or is a better approach to buy a roof without the turret hole and then simply work to apply the stripping at the top where the roof drops off to the slant back?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 questions for you all:

1. Does it make sense to take the roof delete (cover) off and take it to a body shop where they can weld metal in and sand it down to make it smooth and perfect? It can then be repainted.
2. Or is a better approach to buy a roof without the turret hole and then simply work to apply the stripping at the top where the roof drops off to the slant back?
just my .25 cents, but your going to be highly disappointed in the slantbacks abilities to stay dry inside regardless of or what you do, it’s really going to vary on degrees of how wet it will based on how much time and money you spend.

azulrios

I used the same neoprene tape as Andy, no rivets, and I drilled 4 additional holes through the turret top cover and the roof for bolts. She has not leaked since. This and a new $25 rear hatch seal and I too have 99.5% of my leaks "covered.".
I have seen so many different types of neoprene, please advise which type and where the proper neoprene can be procured. Thanks all!!

AAVP7

To stay strictly in period even in rain, I always carry two GI issue woodland camo ponchos in my slantback, right by the driver´s seat. If you put those on, most parts of you stay dry. The second poncho is for the guy in the commander´s seat. If I have passengers in the rear, and it starts to rain - well, they´ll have to tough it out.... :LOL:

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen so many different types of neoprene, please advise which type and where the proper neoprene can be procured. Thanks all!!
Gets you some good high density rubber weather stripping, not the cheap foam stuff. Mine was around 3/8 inch thick. RTV on the bolts. Mine doesn't leak any. The only water I get in mine is at the top corners of the hatch after a heavy rain. And it's not much.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gets you some good high density rubber weather stripping, not the cheap foam stuff. Mine was around 3/8 inch thick. RTV on the bolts. Mine doesn't leak any. The only water I get in mine is at the top corners of the hatch after a heavy rain. And it's not much.

“It’s does not leak any, but leaks after a hard rain“....LOL

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nkt
OK, whatever you say Mr. HMMWV
Let me get this straight, you post Your turret never leaks, but add it only leaks after a heavy rain.
The point I’m trying to make and have for 25yrs is, they all leak!
mine Don’t leak! But I park them in my shop When it rains....makes about as much sense.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nkt

Let me get this straight, you post Your turret never leaks, but add it only leaks after a heavy rain.
The point I’m trying to make and have for 25yrs is, they all leak!
mine Don’t leak! But I park them in my shop When it rains....makes about as much sense.
Let me get this straight. Post number 24 is referring to the turret cover. I recommended weather stripping under it. Which is what I did and mine DOESN'T LEAK. I continued to say my hatch leaks in the corners. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?

Gamble

Is it reasonable to think one could take the roof delete (cover) off and take the truck to a body shop where they can weld metal in the home and sand it out to make it smooth and perfect and then repaint?

This would eliminate turret leaks and get rid of the turret delete.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it reasonable to think one could take the roof delete (cover) off and take the truck to a body shop where they can weld metal in the home and sand it out to make it smooth and perfect and then repaint?

This would eliminate turret leaks and get rid of the turret delete.
Any competent welding shop or body shop should be able to weld in metal in place of the turret hole to make it disappear.

Daves86

Seems to make sense that a decent shop could do the work. I'm just curious the cost of filling in the hole vs buying a roof that doesn't have a hole. I currently do not have a hard roof so I am probably thinking of this from a different angle than someone who already has one.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems to make sense that a decent shop could do the work. I'm just curious the cost of filling in the hole vs buying a roof that doesn't have a hole. I currently do not have a hard roof so I am probably thinking of this from a different angle than someone who already has one.
I'd imagine that with a solid roof you can use a standard B pillar instead of the turret setup, and turning around and selling the turret roof and supports might even turn a profit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks