• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slantback roof insulation, what works best?

Btharbold

Hello,

Working on reinstalling the turret in my 1045. I have pretty much everything ready to go, parts are all freshly painted and all the little missing pieces have been sourced. The one thing left to decide on is insulation for the roof. There was a guy on the other forum reproducing the roof insulation, but he fell off the grid allegedly. What have you guys used that you were happy with? Ideally something with the perforated look of the original would be cool, but really anything black, available in rolls, and that I can glue on would work. Figured some of you have already found some good products that worked well. I want to install it on the roof while I have the roof pulled off for the turret project and can flip it over. I will trace around the turret support as the insulation did not go behind that.

Thanks,

Brad

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Closed cell foam. Any upholstery shop will have it. It’s what modern headliners are made from. I removed the black Vinyl cover from an original foam set and re-glued it to the closed cell foam .

AFGVET

I know this is not exactly what you were asking about, but have you considered spraying the inside of your roof (maybe vehicle) with a ceramic heat and or sound insulation too? (there are a few companies that make products)
I know that the original look is what you are probably going for, but those pads of insulation work "Meh.."
They were even more lack luster in the heat of Afghanistan and Iraq.
I'd spay that in and then glue in the pad you want to get the look you are after.
Just a suggestion for a TTP.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tag for interest as I am planning on doing this project once the Florida Inferno lifts this winter. I have a helmet top though. The advice I was given was to remove the top as it makes application of all products easier and neater doing the job up-side down on the ground. But that is not an option of me - I would need to rent a crane to remove the helmet top and being in da' hood - the M998 would be stripped clean overnight.

I am not looking for originality, but rather something that is effective for both heat and sound and good looking. I was going to call around eventually a few local car interior places and see what they recommend, but I would rather do it myself.

Crapgame

I made templates for the 5 M10XX roof insulation pieces using the remnant insulation left stuck on my roof. I have a foam saw (like a sabre saw with a bread knife blade riding up and down in a U shaped sleeve with just the teeth exposed) to cut the DB Engineering 1" vinyl faced foam.

AFGVET

(This was originally a PM, but I thought the community might benefit from it, so I tweaked it a bit and am posting it)

BLUF: Ceramic spray on coatings work

I understand the desire to put in matting into a HMWWV that matches the original military application -or- makes it look as close to original as possible is very desirable.

At the same time, I am reading people's plans to invest considerable time taking off tops/shells and flipping them to ensure applications of those matting pads are set in just right.
I am concerned that some expectations are that these insulation mattings will eliminate sound or heat coming into the cab. We have to understand that a military contractor only does what they must to meet a just requirement and at the absolutely lowest cost, not the best result.
(The days of the WWII pervasive mentality of "Those are our sons and husbands over there!" has pretty much been extinguished, but that is another discussion on IW/IO.)

I really ardently believe that spray on coatings would provide exponentially more in both sound and heat control to the inside of many old warhorses.
I want our folks to be armed with this knowledge so they may make fully informed decisions before a project is completed.
AND I am not pushing any one brand/product/company. Lizardskin happens to be the product that was used in both instances.
I am actually trying to figure out more wholesale solution myself.

SO, my 2 cents and vignettes:

While I have not gotten to the point (my body work isn't done) in my project where I have applied the Lizard Skin to the inside of my M1009, I will be doing it.
Additionally, I have been in other folks vehicles both before and after they did the coatings. Both examples are from 2017-2020 New Mexico from the group of guys I was working with on Kirtland AFB.

1) Wally's 1970 bronco: This Ford had a real nice 351 engine swap with headers done that looked great. The problem was the heat that radiated from the floor, especially in the New Mexico summers, was insane. It was so bad his wife would not go 4-wheeling with him because the drive out was miserable. (He was considering buying a truck and trailer) One of the engineers from AFRL* suggested the idea of spray in ceramic insulation. He had it did using Lizardskin heat control, he stipulated to the shop that he wanted two full applications (4 coats) done. He then had a coat of paint done over it and It turned out great. The trouble from the radiant heat was solved.

2) Vic's 198X M1009: In 100+ temps this guy's CUCV was HOT. The group didn't want to go to lunch in his CUCV because we would sweat like pigs going and coming back (and the civilians were in business casual which was a problem with their PM)
He put in a Nostalgic Air A/C unit and while it did cool the blazer it was never really as cool as he wanted it. He stared to realize the radiant heat issues, especially the heat radiating from the floor. At the same time he saw the results from Wally's Bronco (see above). So he did the Lizardskin Heat and Sound coating. (In for a penny in for a pound?)
I helped him do the work at the Auto Hobby shop on Kirtland AFB -which is possibly the best on base Auto Hobby shop I have been to in decades (plug for the guys there).

The results were AWESOME!
The problems from the road noise were drastically reduced. The radiant heat issue was eliminated and the M1009 could get cold even in the hottest of 100+ days. We only did one application (2 coats) per product.
The only thing he complained about was that he had to order more of the coating than he purchased, and that the project cost more money in materials and the rental of a bay at the auto shop. (But he only did this a few times because I pointed out he was the one that thought we could "make it work with less" and the truck had to sit in the shop while we waited for the products to ship.)

Now if you wanted to you could get the ceramic beads** and mix it into the paint you are going to use.
(Which is what I am considering, but not decided on***)
However, you will no doubt need to use an applicator that can support it. If I go that way I am still going to get the application kit from Lizardskin.

Now this (spray-in option) unquestionably costs more than "peel and stick" insulation (which you may want to still do for the OEM MilSpec look)
AND Everything has costs. As my Grandpa used to say "Its not how much you make, its how much you save..."
But in this case I think a spray in thermal barrier which can be painted over and keep the vehicle looking pretty close to original while significantly controlling sound and more importantly heat, is worth it.

AFGVET

* AFRL: Air Force Research Laboratories

** Ceramic Insulating Additives for Paint (hytechadditive.com)

*** the companies that make the stuff have figured out the problems with making a mixture that holds this all in suspension

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks