• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slave Cable

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I now have 2 gen sets mep 002a & 803a! Considering purchasing slave cable to jump start either! Will that work and what am I looking for in part # and or description?

As always thanks

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The short story is, its easier to jump down, rather the jumping up. I've never jumped anything with either of my MEP 002a or 003a. Since they're older, both have the double pin slave that matches the rest of my stuff (maybe I'm dating things here)[I too, have the single pin adapter}. I don't doubt that one MEP can jump another, but it would seem mostly your going to be reliant on the state of your battery packs, since the charging systems of especially the older ones, while its adequate for themselves, they don't produce a lot of surplus. The 002's also use a much smaller battery pack. As it is, I never felt it prudent to be stingy with the quality of the batteries in especially the 002's, when considering that its something of an emergency unit.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The short story is, its easier to jump down, rather the jumping up. I've never jumped anything with either of my MEP 002a or 003a. Since they're older, both have the double pin slave that matches the rest of my stuff (maybe I'm dating things here)[I too, have the single pin adapter}. I don't doubt that one MEP can jump another, but it would seem mostly your going to be reliant on the state of your battery packs, since the charging systems of especially the older ones, while its adequate for themselves, they don't produce a lot of surplus. The 002's also use a much smaller battery pack. As it is, I never felt it prudent to be stingy with the quality of the batteries in especially the 002's, when considering that its something of an emergency unit.
Thank you, I was and guess still wondering if they will jump another gen-set. Also I'll have to check and see what pin configuration I have. Hope that will be obvious. Also is there just one type of slave cable or are there other configurations beside single/double pin.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, I was and guess still wondering if they will jump another gen-set. Also I'll have to check and see what pin configuration I have. Hope that will be obvious. Also is there just one type of slave cable or are there other configurations beside single/double pin.

Nope just the 2 styles.
Here is a picture of a 2 pin from a mep18a.

Attachments

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Chances are your 002a has the older 2 pin style, while the 803a has the single pin. If you pick up a single pin cable with two adapters for 2 pin outlets you'll be able to get a jump start from pretty much any vehicle on either set. 2 pin cables are pretty much only good for jumping something old with something else old as adapters are pretty much non-existent. You could make some but it's not worth the cost/hassle.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chances are your 002a has the older 2 pin style, while the 803a has the single pin. If you pick up a single pin cable with two adapters for 2 pin outlets you'll be able to get a jump start from pretty much any vehicle on either set. 2 pin cables are pretty much only good for jumping something old with something else old as adapters are pretty much non-existent. You could make some but it's not worth the cost/hassle.
Will go out in am to verify pin configuration. Appreciate the advice, will be shopping the net to find something.

just me

I have only two pin cables around here. I had no trouble buying adapters to one pin for them this year. I carry one in each vehicles glovebox so I am never without if I need one.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I have only two pin cables around here. I had no trouble buying adapters to one pin for them this year. I carry one in each vehicles glovebox so I am never without if I need one.
I've never seen an adapter for a 2 pin cable end to 1 pin outlet for sale, where did you find them? Any pics?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Your generators are 24 volts. Its not something which you hook a standard car to and jump. For jumping, the cables have to be of some size and the ends of course will need to be of size for jumping. In the end it would be a little pricey to just jump a lowly generator. If you have other military vehicles, then it works in your favor in having such equipment.

You could also build your own. Find the proper nato slave plug (1 pin or older 2 pin) and maybe a adapter which changes it, and some heavy awg wires.

http://www.tgccompany.com/nato-intervehicle-connectors.html has some items, and
http://www.graywacke.net/ has some items.

The classifieds here for some ends too.
NOTE: I know the MEP-802/803 can be jump started and run without batteries.

Might be easy enough to keep good batteries in the generators with a battery tender.

Guyfang

Staff member
What do you mean, "anything". I used them to jump all milatary vehicles and gen sets. I have used them to power all the radios. Anything that is 24 volts.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have single pin (nato) receptacles available if you want to remove the 2 pin and have a single on the older unit.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Your generators are 24 volts. Its not something which you hook a standard car to and jump. For jumping, the cables have to be of some size and the ends of course will need to be of size for jumping. In the end it would be a little pricey to just jump a lowly generator. If you have other military vehicles, then it works in your favor in having such equipment.

You could also build your own. Find the proper nato slave plug (1 pin or older 2 pin) and maybe a adapter which changes it, and some heavy awg wires.

http://www.tgccompany.com/nato-intervehicle-connectors.html has some items, and
http://www.graywacke.net/ has some items.

The classifieds here for some ends too.
NOTE: I know the MEP-802/803 can be jump started and run without batteries.

Might be easy enough to keep good batteries in the generators with a battery tender.
My Mep002A has the solagizer tender on it and am in my 9th year of Wally World Battery, amazing how good the solagizer really does work.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have single pin (nato) receptacles available if you want to remove the 2 pin and have a single on the older unit.
Will check it out today and see how I'm configured, sounds like I'm going to have both style receptacles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks