• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

slave cables

jag7720

I have a M1009 and a 2000 diesel chevy van

I'd like to put a slave receptacle on the van and build a slave cable to jump between the two ... I usually have to jump them once or twice on the coldest days.

Then I'd like to build an adapter for the slave cables to go to regular jumper clamps.

Anyone know where I can get all the slave cable ends?
I see the slave cable receptacles in ebay but nothing for the cables themselves.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the M1009 being 24v and the Van 12v, how are you going to wire the cables? Or are you converting the 24v slave pin on the M1009 to be only 12v?

Westech

CPL
even if you do that (12V only) its NOT going to jump that truck. The only thing it would be good for is if the van went dead and you used the cucv to jump it (if cucv slave was changed to 12V)

Ebay is a good place to check.

was posted before I seen you hacked it to 12V. It will work

Last edited:

jag7720

even if you do that (12V only) its NOT going to jump that truck. The only thing it would be good for is if the van went dead and you used the cucv to jump it (if cucv slave was changed to 12V)

Ebay is a good place to check.
Why not... maybe I'm missing something. Isn't the slave receptacle attached directly to the batteries? Wouldn't that be the same as clamping on some civiy style jumpers to the battery?

Sephirothq

1. does the van have two batteries in parallel?

2. does the blazer have two batteries in parallel?

3. is the slave connection hooked up for 12 volts on both the van and the blazer?

if the above is all true then yes it will work

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
His M1009 has been coverted to 12v, so he will be jumping 12v to 12v. Not an issue.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
His M1009 has been coverted to 12v, so he will be jumping 12v to 12v. Not an issue.
Ahh gotcha. If that's the case, why not just get quick connects from NAPA. I'm not sure how much the NATO connectors cost, but I'd bet more. (Unless someone has a source for them as surplus)

wilber

I want to do the same thing, except use two pins for 12 volt and nato for 24 volt. That way I can use adaptors for one set of slaves to jump either 12 volt or 24 volt. I don't plan to mix and match.

Anyone know where I can get some two pin vehicle receptacles cheaper than $30?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slave cables are kind of pricey. I use a set up similar to this for my 12V vehicles. I also have a set connected to the front battery on my CUCV.

Booster Cable, SD, 4 AWG, 25 Ft, 400 Amp - Jumper Cables - Automotive Maintenance Tools - Fleet and Vehicle Maintenance : Grainger Industrial Supply

Battery and Cable Connectors - Wire Connectors - Electrical - Grainger Industrial Supply

I don't surf e-bay so I have no idea what slave connectors run, but General Jim's Surplus (989-386-5425) in Clare Michigan has the newer style connectors for about $50 ea.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks