• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slaveing with Genset??

Steamynachos

Hi guys I know I cant slave start my 5 ton with my mep-26A but will it charge the battery's and how long would it take to charge them up. What all can I power with this unit i hooked up my robo impact and it worked ok. is there a gen set big enough that will slave a 5 ton from death.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your genset has two good batteries.......disconnect the slave cables from your bad batteries on your truck (use bolts/nuts to tie wires together to starter) and it should fire up your truck. The bad batteries on your truck may cause the good batteries on your genset to not supply enough current. That is why you should always take the BAD batteries out of the equation.

Steamynachos

The gen set is a pull start so no batts on it but what do you guys use this type of gen for it puts out 24v dc only what does the army use it for I thought it would be used for slaving trucks and charging batts but it dosent seem to have enough power for that.

Isaac-1

Your MEP-026 outputs about 100 amps at 28V, as a general rule of thumb you should never try to charge a battery during bulk charging faster than about 1/5 of its capacity per hour. An 8D large truck battery is rated around 250AH at 12V, this means your MEP-026 should be able to charge 4 of them wired series/parallel in 24V mode (making a 500AH 24V bank) in about 5 hours or right around their maximum recommended charge rate.

Ike

FrankUSMC

I have the same generator, what are they used for? I got it a couple of years ago to jump start my trucks, that is what I was told they were used for. I have never used it. Mine looks new......scrap it?
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Steamynachos

i tried to jump my truck with it and it just blew the breaker it didnt have the power to even turn over once so its no good for that. Mine is brand new also only had 5 min on the meter.

Isaac-1

It is not designed to jump start, it is designed to charge the battery of a truck that is ran down, during cranking the starter probably draws several hundred amps. Think of it as a heavy duty gasoline powered battery charger, not another truck there to jump start from. Think of a motor pool situation where a truck has ran its battery down all the way, hook one of these generators up to it for a few hours and it will be recharged for when it is next needed, instead of the idea of jump starting it now, then depending on the trucks engine to top off the battery which would take several hours of running the large truck engine.

Ike

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just like connecting jumper cables to two cars and waiting 5-10 minutes, connect the generator set and wait 10-15 minutes and try it. If the batteries are any good they should charge enough to get the truck cranked. You can use the set for charging if you watch the ammeter/current meter, I assume it has one. If not, add one..

jasonjc

I think they also used them to run the radio and stuff on truck and tracks instead of running the big engines too keep the batts on. Think of how much fuel a M1A2 would brun ideling all night.

emr

true info, a set of good batts that just ran down because of something silly, they will not need much to give enough boost for a start on a truck that is also in good working order, trying to start a truck that has problems will be a problem though ... but remember all batts need to be charged to full as soon ass possible to keep them from sulfating, a set of batts that are never brought up to a full charge sulfate , lets say someone gets a jump and expects the truck to do it is asking for short battery life, at least once a year all batts should be fully charged independently, and cleaned , [thumbzup] oh and rotated in the box, the last batt in there getting juice is always a lazy batt in time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks