• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sled pulling with a deuce?

PawnShopEd

hey guys a few of us up here in maryland are going to the Mason Dixon Fair tommorrow night to give sled pulling with our deuces etc a whirl. One I've never pulled with my deuce just my D-max. So I know the sweet spots there but on a deuce I'm not to shure. The track here is 280 feet. Wet this last week so I'm guesing the grounds going to be pretty well packed last night was the tractor pulls. I'm running a m35a2 with m35a3 wheels and 44" XL's that are about new. Air shift front end and turned up a little bit thanks to the military.
I'm kind of thinking deflate the tires to about 25lb and lock the front axle, 2nd gear low or maybee even third gear low launch slip the clutch just a good bit so I can get enough to start the pull and at the same time get enough wheel speed to get some momentum.
Any suggestions? lol they are greatly appriciated I didn't find to many videos' on you tube or any real info here. But I know someones tried it.

Also twow of my other friends are takeing theres up that are running tandem ndt's ones about stock on power. The other ones a bit out there and is running my old deuce he bought from me with it turned all the way up and then back a .25 turn. Oh ya he's loveing his apparently amazing burnouts, and he's able to and thinking about doing a 4rth gear low launch he's got a pyro and said its getting about 1200 degrees and he lets off but apparently he's doing 65 or so on stock tires.... yes we've all told him he's going to shoot a piston to the moon. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Heavysteven

I would think all that pulling would heat your gear oil up. Make sure you check your spring vent on the transfercase, transmission, and axles.

Good luck

PawnShopEd

I shall check the vents - just packed my bearings and changed my fluids about a month ago.
I am takeing my HD dash cam, video cam for the stands, and a slr lol. I will post!

hemichallenger

My guess would be 4th gear it will fall on it's face about 150-200 feet out with all the fuel turned to it. But that depends on the sled. Would love to be there.

Heavysteven

Is there a reason you can not shift gears in a sled pull? Am i correct that it common for the puller to only be allowed to start and finish in the same gear?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
not that it is not allowed, but you really don't want to break momentum

Been to many as a spectator, not as a driver and hariba11 is correct. I can't imagine starting out in one gear and then trying to shift several feet down the track. Once the sled catches you you are toast and you won't be shifting.

Would be nice to see some pics of it though.

sw

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Last night 4 of us pulled my self,my son Jason,Ian,and another guy.I ran my 817 with 53" tires,my son ran his bobbed deuce,the other 2 guys ran their stock deuces,Everybody did good,I got 1st place at 214 feet with my 817,I was glad the front rear engaged.Last year it did not engage on my 818.I will post a video later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks