• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slide in camper for my deuce

hellrayzor1

Hi everyone!!:D

Just finished the structural parts of a slide in camper for my Deuce so I thought I would share. It started out a slide in for a 1 ton pickup but with a lil modifications and much added storage space it now fits the deuce bed quite nicely. Now just need to get everything inside working proper so I can head up north when summer hits over the 110 F mark.

Have a great one all :beer:

Attachments

motomacguyver

Subscribed! I am interested in doing something similar. We saw a 5th wheel rig the other day that looked like it might be short enough, just take the axels off and slide it in the bed. We’re not sure if the bottom tanks, etc would clear.

Any input is appreciated.

hellrayzor1

The only problem with using an existing camper trailer or 5th wheel is it will be too wide to fit in the bed, most rv trailers are 8 feet wide and a deuce bed is just a lil over 7 feet 3 inches on the inside, I originally bought an old motorhow (one of the lil van type ones) but quickly realized it would be too much work narrowing the entire box. With the slide in I ended up using i only had to narrow the rear 2 feet by 5 inches per side up high enough to clear the bed sides. Also I built a new base to raise the whole thing up 6 inches so the overhang would clear over the cab. Has been an experience as I have gone along. Always something new comes up to deal with. I plan on mounting a generator where the original pioneer kit goes and will add a gasoline fuel tank under the bed for the generator. Also had to relocate the sewage tanks to the storage area i built on the side because the original ones were under the rear where the camper would have hung off the back of the pickup.

Last edited:

zout

HR - thta looks great on there. It appears very uniform with nothing taking your eyes off any part of it to make it stand out as an eyesore.

You will be enjoying that I am sure - shoot and post some pics of the rear of the camper and access when you get a chance.:beer:

RealCavDog

You should also link that to the post I was reading about the fuel tax sticker problems that some folks are having !

If that does not qualify as a Recreational Vehicle, I don't what would ! Living in the 4-state corner of Missouri, just knew one of the other 3 states was a gamble at best !

Awesome job on it and puts me back in the M35A2 market after very reluctantly considering having to switch to the M109A3 ! GENIUS !

hellrayzor1

The jacks wont reach the ground when the camper is in the truck bed. I built risers that sit on the ground that the jacks set on top of. I hook up my car trailer on the back of the deuce and raise the camper up a bit and drive out from under it and them lower the camper onto the trailer. Then remove the risers and jack the camper up a bit and pull the trailer out. Then it can go to the ground. Kinna a hassle to load and offload but i dont think they make a set of jacks that extend 4.5 feet LOL. These will raise about 3 feet. Would be a good investment to get a set of electric jacks too, I am about worn out from cranking the jacks when the camper is finally in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks