• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slide-in camper Will it fit in M1102 bed?

BirdieChain

Hi newly registered to SS. Have searched but can't find info on this.
Just purchased M1102 and sold my M101A1
Looking for cap options. I purchased an 8' slide in 13' long camper which would fit a standard pick-up bed.
Any ideas if this can be done? I'm checking it out later today and will post best I can here of my progress.
Thanks in advance!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it probably will fit, but you have to be very careful of the weight balance. A pickup truck doesn't care quite as much about the weight being a little to far forward or back anywhere near as much as a trailer will.

Zed254

Before you get too far along check out my experience with a similar trailer (generator version of the LTT) in posts 18, 23, 48.

As Coug points out trailer weight balance can cause problems.....my tongue weight was too light and gave me a wild ride. An equipment trailer solved my tongue weight issue.

Jbulach did it right with a heavier trailer and camper.

tobyS

Like said above, pay attention to the center of gravity and have a few hundred pounds tongue weight. You may need a space so it is not against the bed front, like 12". Plan on a serious long tongue modification and keep the surge brake. Here is a mod I did to lock out the surge actuator. The bolt blocks the sliding ram from actuating it when I want to lock it out.

Attachments

BirdieChain

Thanks for the advice so far. I measured the distance in between the camper jacks and the M1102 will fit under it to load. Its older one 1999 Stoney Creek Model 10 (Can't find info about) doesn't appear overly weighty and is on manual jacks.
Goal is to just get it 20 miles home and I think with the trailer nosed down a bit and stay off highway It will be able to do that.

BirdieChain

IMG_2146.jpg
Update: It does fit as picture shows. Then the "fun" started. It was a wild ride home as the weight distribution was / is way off. Tongue weight negative. Which was very surprising to me. Empty the M1102 is very front heavy.
Low speed driving but still NOT something I'd do on purpose. My original plan, other option, (old F250 Diesel 8 foot bed) would have been much mo betta for sure.
Anyway it's home no one got hurt and my plans are up in the air.
Based on condition the camper is salvage. Has generator and other parts.
For example the corner jacks could be fit to M1102 to provide stable platform.
Thanks for the help and enjoy the weekend!

tobyS

You don't have as much front overhang as expected. Making trailer from the back of a pickup works too. I made a trailer from a dually and it pulled great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks