• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

slight issue with XM818

ready to leave sat morn with the XM818 & M131A4 and blow wheel cyl. Park the thing and grab the M35 and go. sun morn dig into it and find a little more than planned.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Great Rainbow!

What exactly did you find that made you take the whole hub apart? Is there a broken piece in that picture or are you just showing what a huge job it is to take the axle out? Thanks for posting them I know now what to look for if I have to dig into my tractor.

yes when i pulled the drive flange oil ran out. not good. jwaller got it rite. inner seal puked. strangely enough it ruined the outer wheel bearing also. my theory is that the oil washed the grease out of it and then did not provide proper lubrication for the bearing as it was not allways submerged in oil. it was galled not pitted. all without any signs of trouble. this truck does get some miles on it but the axle oil level does not go unchecked very long. I do have a maintence program in place and stick to it.all fluids are verified before any trip over 10 miles. if not for the wheel cyl leak i would not have found this untill the bearing went completely south. prob with the wheel and hub assy takeing its own path! that would ruin anyones day. maybe even there future days if they were in the path of the truck or hub/wheel assy. I know most of you have had these thing apart but i thought i would post a few pic for those that have not. getting in and out is not that big of deal its the cleaning and regreasing the bits that take the time. next weekend she will be working again, pulling the latest finds back home from the Clare MI Great Lakes MVPA truck show / swap meet!!!!! once again she will be earning her keep and smoking on down the road. I really dont want to say this but--------- I hate juice brakes but this time they may have prevented a larger incident. :oops:

superburban

I had a wheel come off on a vehicle I was driving once. It was a Chevy Sprint! I was going about 35 MPH and suddenly I saw the front left wheel take a different course than the rest of the car. It took a few seconds for the front to touch down too. The tire went through 4 lanes of oncoming traffic without hitting anyone, thank goodness (it would have put a nasty chip in someone's paint)! The car came to rest in the median, and I had to play Frogger while collecting my lug nuts and tire. I re-installed them, and never had another issue with it.

I can only cringe while thinking what would happen if that big ol tire/axle on your 818 came off in the same place and time! Nice save, Dave.

powerhouseduece

superburban said:
I had a wheel come off on a vehicle I was driving once. It was a Chevy Sprint! I was going about 35 MPH and suddenly I saw the front left wheel take a different course than the rest of the car. It took a few seconds for the front to touch down too. The tire went through 4 lanes of oncoming traffic without hitting anyone, thank goodness (it would have put a nasty chip in someonei had the samething happen to me in my k5 blazer. i was late for work one day(like every other day) and i was doing about 70mph when the front of my truck dropped! i thought o crap i blewout a tire than when i look out the passenger window i see my 38"tsl go bouncin off the road. at that point i knew i was screwed so lucky that i was in the right lane and i ended up into the woods.

6 new wheel studs and lugs-$15
new brake rotor-$20
finding out you dont need to buy a new ($300) tire- priceless

reuben

I lost a rear wheel on a 4x4 subaru going up a mountain, nut came off the axle spindle, wheel rolled off into the woods, I pulled off into a deep ditch. A fella who sells tow insurance stopped and give me a ride to a parts store to buy a new nut. (I bought his tow insurence as well and we've used it about 3 times sence then) when we got back a sherff was there, he called a wrecker because he was sure I couldn't get out of the ditch, even though I told him I thought I could. By the time the wrecker got there I had the wheel back on, did a little manuver to stradle the ditch and pulled right out. I guess it arn't everybody that's had plenty of experience drivin 4x4's in and out of crazy places. That was an easy one compared to some of the "roads" I'v traveled that look more like rock piles and ledges.

another one was the dodge 4x4 truck, front wheel started wobbling about 80 mi from home, pulled off and discovered the bearing disintigrated. A retired electric lineman lived right there and he took me to town to get bearings. He sat there and watched me install them, he was surprised I did it, said very few people would know how. I was surprised by the general ignorance. so why don't more people know how to fix the commen things that we mess with. Maybe something to do with the age of specialization.
Fraid I'm the other way around, I specialize in unspecialization. the more i know about more different things the more versatile i can be.