• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slight upgrade to stock seats during reupholstery

Blendmaster2002

To start off, my seats needed reupholstered in my M36A2, my driver seat I had threw a pair of old jeans on and my passenger side was torn and the seat foam showing and the backrests had collapsed so it was time for new, I chose to keep my box seat, I could have used a springer ride driver seat, but I am more cramped on the springer seat. The truck had the spring style driver base instead of foam, my passenger seat was a foam base, but I had a spring style passenger base so I used it. The rope for the tension wires on the driver seat base needed replaced so I used bailing rope/string.

Attachments

Last edited:

Blendmaster2002

Next what I came up with for the seats was the backrests are 3” high density foam. The spring bases I used 1” air filter media over the springs for even distribution, covered with a heavy seat fabric hog ringed to the perimeter bar at the top of the springs to keep the filter media in place, then the material was pulled under the base folded over and stapled to the base. Next I put 1” high density foam on top of the material and then covered with new seat covers. I had advice from my sister who did seat covers for my other truck that I sold and from my mom who did all the sewing on this project and persuaded me to use the filter media and not just fabric over the springs and tension wires topped with foam on top like I had thought. The covers are made similar to the original style with draw strings on the back side except for the driver back which is like a pouch and slides over the back of the seat frame like the original, color is a tan. First impression just sitting in the truck its much more comfortable, I then sat on a stock pass spring base with good cover, and a foam only pass seat, this set up seems much better in my opinion. Still have foam plus the springs for suspension, when I drive it next time I will know for sure.

Attachments

Last edited:

Adrian A

Nice job man! These have to be the best seats for any one to explore upholstering on. I just did mine myself. It does not get much simpler or cheaper. The air seat definitely is much closer to the steering wheel from my experience.

Ajax MD

Just found my winter snow-day project in this thread. My passenger seat cover is blasted but the foam is still good (and yes, I can upgrade the foam with something better if I choose to.)
I found a good source of OD green canvas duck cloth but I'm trying to decide which weight and whether waxed duck cloth is worth the bother.

https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/10oz-70-canvak-canvas-olive-drab/
https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/canvas-for-tents-tipis/10-10-oz-60-waxed-army-duck-olive-drab/
https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/number-8-18oz-cotton-canvas-duck-olive-drab

Actually, that last one is 18oz (#8).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks