• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slip Yoke Engagement - NV4500

Corvette1974

Hello,

Quick question - After swapping to my NV4500 (over a year ago now) I did notice that the driveshaft was slightly (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch) less engaged into the transfer case. I feel it is now engaged too little, and I think it is starting to wear on the output shaft bushing (there seem to be a slightly larger leak and play in the shaft now). Any thoughts on how much engagement there needs to be, maybe with measurements from stock trucks?

If my shaft ends up being too far out, what are my solutions? Should I get an extended sip yoke if available and swap that over, get a new driveshaft made, slip yoke eliminator, etc? Let me know what you guys think.

Once I have this info, I will finally make my NV4500 swap thread. I have waited this long to confirm long term function.

-Will

Barrman

NP208/241? The slip yoke is supposed to be 1" to 1-1/2" from bottoming out against the seal with the truck sitting level. What are you at? Anymore that 1-1/2" away from the seal at rest and a new rear drive shaft should be considered.

Corvette1974

NP208/241? The slip yoke is supposed to be 1" to 1-1/2" from bottoming out against the seal with the truck sitting level. What are you at? Anymore that 1-1/2" away from the seal at rest and a new rear drive shaft should be considered.
NP208 - I think it is way further than it needs to be. Check out this shot

20171120_181952.jpg

If the shaft is too short, what are my options? Should I SYE it (if possible) or just see if my driveshaft shop can lengthen the shaft? Or is there a longer yoke available that give the engagement but I wouldn't have to modify the shaft?

-Will

Barrman

That is too far out.

I would suggest a new drive shaft tube or if your rear end is sagging some. An Off Road Design add a leaf which will let you move the rear axle forward an inch. An extra bonus is the rear of the truck will get a one inch boost.

Corvette1974

That is too far out.

I would suggest a new drive shaft tube or if your rear end is sagging some. An Off Road Design add a leaf which will let you move the rear axle forward an inch. An extra bonus is the rear of the truck will get a one inch boost.

10-4 thanks for the thoughts. Based on what you see there, should I bother doing fancy measurements or just tell the driveshaft shop to add 1 inch in length (or more if you think I should do more) I do load this truck down quite a lot, I don't want that bottoming out. Let me know what you think.

-Will

Barrman

I would suggest pulling the axle end off. Then slide the slip yoke in all the way until it bottoms out. Pull it back out 1.5 inches. Mark the slip yoke with a Sharpie or something. Now, while trying to keep the marked line in place. Hole the axle end up and measure how short it is from fitting. That will tell you how much longer the new tube needs to be.

Make sense?

Corvette1974

I would suggest pulling the axle end off. Then slide the slip yoke in all the way until it bottoms out. Pull it back out 1.5 inches. Mark the slip yoke with a Sharpie or something. Now, while trying to keep the marked line in place. Hole the axle end up and measure how short it is from fitting. That will tell you how much longer the new tube needs to be.

Make sense?
Makes perfect sense! Thanks again. I'll let you know what measurement I find out. I'll be able to incorporate that into my NV4500 thread.

-Will

Corvette1974

Make sense?
Measured the driveshaft to your instructions - I need the driveshaft lengthened 7/8". I called the driveshaft builder but they were closed today...Will call back next week and let you know.

-Will

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe its just the Skyjacker springs on my truck, but the pin that holds the rear leaves in alignment isn't centered front-to-back. With a 4 inch lift, the driveshaft was too short. I remounted the spring packs the other way 'round (pushing the axle forward), now it's just right. I reckon I was supposed to do it that way to start with :)

Last edited:

Corvette1974

Maybe its just the Skyjacker springs on my truck, but the pin that holds the rear leaves in alignment isn't centered front-to-back. With a 4 inch lift, the driveshaft was too short. I remounted the spring packs the other way 'round (pushing the axle forward), now it's just right. I reckon I was supposed to do it that way to start with :)
Haha yeah once you get into the lift world, everything changes. My truck is stock, and it is a massive can of worms if I get into changing the rear suspension. So for now, modifying the driveshaft is actually the easier/cheaper route.

-Will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks