• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slip yoke issue...

FrankenCub

I finally got my new t-case installed and got to looking at the slip yoke and I'm thinking I'd much rather replace it. It has a bit of a groove worn into it with one spot that is deeper than the rest of the circumference. I've tried to reference the part number from TM 34p but coming up empty. The closest I get is a link to dennys driveshafts, but theres quite a few listed and none match the part number. I don't have any way to accurately measure mine so I'm at a loss at the moment. I did call the local drive line repair shop and they said there's little to no chance they will have one in stock and I'd have to take mine in for them to look at it anyway.
Anyone here replace theirs and know where I can get the correct slip yoke? Soon?

cucvrus

You need a front slip joint for an M1008 rear drive shaft. Do you want new or used. I have used and I have a Spicer dealer about 20 miles away. But if you want a used one I will cut it off a dented driveshaft (both ends). PM me for details. I can do that and you can get the drive shaft re-tubed near you. Good Luck. Thats the only way I know to help.

FrankenCub

You need a front slip joint for an M1008 rear drive shaft. Do you want new or used. I have used and I have a Spicer dealer about 20 miles away. But if you want a used one I will cut it off a dented driveshaft (both ends). PM me for details. I can do that and you can get the drive shaft re-tubed near you. Good Luck. Thats the only way I know to help.
I would prefer new and early this morning found a few part numbers that would probably be compatible with most all GM 4x4 trucks. Does the M1008 use a different slip yoke than the rest of the GM line?
This yoke is what's mostly used but has inside snap rings... http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p75...m_3r_series_transfer_case_slip_yoke_7.5_.html
And this one is virtually the same, but with outside snap rings as my truck has..http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p75...10_series_np_205_208_241_243_246_261_263.html
Of course, those are assuming the M1008 uses the same slip yoke as 98% of GM trucks?
If I can't find one locally in a hurry I may opt for a good used. I just NEED my truck back in service. It's been down too long waiting on parts and we're way behind.

cucvrus

I looked at the one I have the center cap is missing on the yoke. They have no cap when they are broached out and the splines are cut into the yoke. The shaft was compressed that hard it pressed the cap from the yoke. I will just keep it. If you want a ew one the Spicer dealer has them.

FrankenCub

In post #2 you said "You need a front slip joint for an M1008 rear drive shaft". So is it M1008 specific, as in the military spec'd a different yoke? I'd like to get one locally, my speed shop told me there warehouse should have what I need if I had a part number. Any of our local shops can get one if they have my yoke to measure. That's all fine if the price is within reason. But if they want $150 for a yoke I can order of the web for $70 and have it shipped next day I NEED to go with the savings.
Guess I'll just have to blow $30 in gas driving my drive shaft around till I find a new yoke.

FrankenCub

I looked at the one I have the center cap is missing on the yoke. They have no cap when they are broached out and the splines are cut into the yoke. The shaft was compressed that hard it pressed the cap from the yoke. I will just keep it. If you want a ew one the Spicer dealer has them.
That couldn't have been to good on the transfer case if it compressed that far. I was rear ended once driving my F-150 4x4 by a Beretta. The rear springs were wrapped around the axle, drive shaft of course driven forward. Even after repairing everything, the engine wasn't even right after that. I think the force transfered all the way from the driveshaft through the t-case>tranny>engine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a fleetpride near you?

Bighorn

You are looking for the 3R version of an NP208 transfercase slip yoke.
If your old shaft is original the u-joint may be glued in place.
GM did that.
You can just remove the factory u-joints using an arbor press and install new 3R u-joints with inside clips.
The bad thing is; by replacing that slip yoke you are likely going to need to have the driveshaft re-balanced.
I worked at Driveline service San Jose for 3 years.
Had an 84 K5 blazer with the same driveshaft.
You are better off taking it to a driveline service place or ordering a rebuilt shaft online than simply replacing the slip yoke without balancing it.
Personally, if the shaft you have now doesn't vibrate, and the u-joints don't bind or look rusty around the cap seals, I would just put a new transfer case seal in and re-install the driveshaft.
NP208 transfer case seal is a Timken 9449.
If it leaks oil, then replace the slip yoke and u-joints, and rebalance the driveshaft.

Last edited:

blueblaze

Its just a normal 32 spline output slip yoke. The slip yoke goes into almost all aluminum cases from these series of trucks including the later NP205 cases. If its for a M1008 you'll just need a 32 spline slip yoke for a 1350 u joint. Its a spicer 3-3-5551X if I remember correctly. I'm sure there's probably a cheaper neapco one or a china special but thats the spicer number. I have to replace mine soon because it also has a groove in it and it seeps from the seal. If its for a Blazer you'll need a 3R yoke with the same output. Something to think about. That's the number I used when buying from Dennys. great guys and awesome prices.

Bighorn

1350 u-joint has outside snap rings that fit in the yoke to hold the u-joint caps in.
3R u-joint is glued in or has inside snap rings that fit the u-joint caps inside the yoke.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to Fleetpride, they will get you whatever you need.

FrankenCub

You are looking for the 3R version of an NP208 transfercase slip yoke.
If your old shaft is original the u-joint may be glued in place.
GM did that.
You can just remove the factory u-joints using an arbor press and install new 3R u-joints with inside clips.
The bad thing is; by replacing that slip yoke you are likely going to need to have the driveshaft re-balanced.
I worked at Driveline service San Jose for 3 years.
Had an 84 K5 blazer with the same driveshaft.
You are better off taking it to a driveline service place or ordering a rebuilt shaft online than simply replacing the slip yoke without balancing it.
Personally, if the shaft you have now doesn't vibrate, and the u-joints don't bind or look rusty around the cap seals, I would just put a new transfer case seal in and re-install the driveshaft.
NP208 transfer case seal is a Timken 9449.
If it leaks oil, then replace the slip yoke and u-joints, and rebalance the driveshaft.
Well now I wondering if the drive shaft was replaced at some point. It has outside snap rings on the yoke. I just replaced both u-joints a couple months ago because the rear joint was shot. The t-case is a reman from a local builder that worked his whole career at New Process, so everything is newly sealed up. Having new bushing and seal in the t-case output I don't want to risk messing it up with my worn slip yoke.
Maybe I'll make Fleetpride my first stop on Tuesday and hope I don't get raped.

FrankenCub

Its just a normal 32 spline output slip yoke. The slip yoke goes into almost all aluminum cases from these series of trucks including the later NP205 cases. If its for a M1008 you'll just need a 32 spline slip yoke for a 1350 u joint. Its a spicer 3-3-5551X if I remember correctly. I'm sure there's probably a cheaper neapco one or a china special but thats the spicer number. I have to replace mine soon because it also has a groove in it and it seeps from the seal. If its for a Blazer you'll need a 3R yoke with the same output. Something to think about. That's the number I used when buying from Dennys. great guys and awesome prices.
Thanks, glad to know it isn't anything mil specific. I'll call the local shops to see who has that Spicer # in stock. I'll call Denny's if no one has it seems they're also in NY. The way businesses are scrambling to get out of NY I try to support them best I can.

FrankenCub

Update... Called Fleetpride this AM and they didn't have one in stock, could have it in the morning for $103+ the Governor's pence. Called Cook Brothers and they had one on the shelf for $68+.
Man is it good to have my truck back! The new t-case is smooth and quiet and no vibrations in the drive line. Speedo still doesn't read right even though I reused to original speedo drive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks