• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

slobber tube

jesusgatos

I see that someone said that the slobber tube/road draft tube is necessary as it coats the underside in oil to aid in rust prevention but when I first saw the open tube leading from the turbo and the mess of oil on the underside my first thought was to make a catch can like you find on some import or modified cars to keep this from happening.

So, just to be 100% sure, this would actually be a bad idea then right? Catch can for excess oil blow by would not be a good idea and in fact would ultimately do more harm in the long run... correct?
That was a JOKE.

Jake0147

My truck is missing the slobber tube. And honestly I don't like how they look hanging down. Anyhow, my deuce has been making a mess under the truck. My answer is a coffee can! It fits perfect under the turbo and on top of the frame rail. Now all the "mess" collects in the can and I can dump it. It's interesting though, I'm getting a lot of watery mess. Not coolant, but just water. The engine oil looks good and the coolant is nice and green. I just topped off the brake fluid as well.

That's about normal and expectable. The primary purpose of the slobber tube, road draft tube, etc is to vent the crankcase of combustion byproducts that arrive there in the form of "blowby", or normal leakage past the excellent but not quite perfect seal at the piston rings. Of the many nasty earth destroying, baby killing, disease spreading toxins that make up exhaust fumes, one of the key players there is Water, and it leaves the engine in the form of vapor. Your can will be very cool (relatively speaking, even though it probably gets warm to the touch), and it will condense a portion of this water vapor. No worries for having found that, it's exactly what you wanted to find. It means the coffee can contraption is working as intended.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's about normal and expectable. The primary purpose of the slobber tube, road draft tube, etc is to vent the crankcase of combustion byproducts that arrive there in the form of "blowby", or normal leakage past the excellent but not quite perfect seal at the piston rings. Of the many nasty earth destroying, baby killing, disease spreading toxins that make up exhaust fumes, one of the key players there is Water, and it leaves the engine in the form of vapor. Your can will be very cool (relatively speaking, even though it probably gets warm to the touch), and it will condense a portion of this water vapor. No worries for having found that, it's exactly what you wanted to find. It means the coffee can contraption is working as intended.
Ahh I didn't think about the cooling effect/condensation of the metal can. That explains it! :beer:

JasonS

Of the many nasty earth destroying, baby killing, disease spreading toxins that make up exhaust fumes, .
I did my MS thesis on micromachined automotive gas sensors. Crankcase emissions are a SIGNIFICANT source of pollution and the positive crankcase ventilation system was the first emissions control device.