• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slow a towed Deuce?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The five tons have glad hands in the front and can be connected to the towing vehicle's service air circuit, activiating the towed vehicles brakes just like the driver would, by stepping on the brake pedal and activating the air support.

For the deuce, you CAN activate the brakes in a similar way, but it requires you to swap the J pipe for a modified pipe on the air pack that allows you to connect to the tow vehicle service glad hand connection. There is a write-up somewhere on the site.
Connecting to the glad hands on the rear of the towed truck won't work.

Ok, I cave....I searched and here it is: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?23611-Airpack-modification-for-towing

It also tells you how to run the towed trucks' lights....

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see one of my old threads is still useful. Had to do this couple years ago to recover the M108 from dayton, engine crapped out.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Can I tow a Duce with a Duce and have brakes on both if I connect the left hand glad hands (service trailer brakes)? Will this apply brakes on the towed Duce?
Click here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?70895-Towing-a-deuce-with-a-deuce#post866314

There are several links there that will take you to the relevant threads for your question.

Please make sure you are searching the site for answers to any questions you may have, because 99.99999% of deuce questions have been covered in exhaustive detail.

If you aren't having any luck with your search results, click the link in my signature line below and post up on the search thread what you're looking for and how you searched for it and we'll show you how to find it in the future.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

phil2968

Just remember that the newer style air packs don't have a j pipe. You must remove the pipe completely and install a fitting into the back of the air chamber. Ask me how I know!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I flat towed a deuce with a deuce from Little Rock, Arkansas to Alabama and it was a slow go. Average speed was about 45 MPH on flat ground. The biggest worry you will have, if you are on the interstate, is the big rigs blowing by at 70+ MPH. It is unnerving to say the least and I was an over the road truck driver myself. You also have to worry about all the drooling morons that can't wait a few seconds to do what they want to do. If I had it to over again I would have had the two trucks shipped but it was a grand adventure.