• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slow cranking - no start; need advice.

MON26ER

Hello first off I’m brand new here and completely overwhelmed with the wealth of knowledge and awesome brotherhood that I see on this forum.
I recently purchased my dream truck a 1984 CUCV.
Everything was great until about a month ago. It is my daily driver and I drove it to work and came out after 8 hours and she wouldn’t fire. Now it was a little cold out but not severely cold. Around 35 degrees. It’s been a damn sight colder that that and the ole Detroit has fired right up. But this day it was a no go. I’m fairly new to these old diesels I have owned all older Chevy trucks for most of my life but they have been gassers. Here’s a list of the new parts I’ve thrown her way.
-two new batteries
-new glow plugs
-new alternator
-new fuel filter
-and it had a full tank of fuel with just a touch of power service added in for the cold weather.
With this being said, it’s cranking over but it seems to be cranking over slowly. And it almost sounds like there’s some kind of hiccup about midway through the cranking cycle. I just don’t know if it’s not cranking fast enough to build the compression to take off or what. Possibly the starter?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I don’t sound like to much of a noob on this forum.
Thanks in advance!!

cucvrus

Check cranking amps in batteries and possibly the starter is checking out. New parts don't mean they are NOT the issue. Glow plugs can go bad in a few days or hours if they are cycled incorrectly. Cranking a cold hard start diesel is hard on everything. Get the issue properly diagnosed and corrected before you have a melt down. Good Luck. hard to help from afar. Be safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks