• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slow reving/low power 6.5

diesel dave

Hi guys,
have a 998 with a get 6.5. Starts and idles ok,but is so sluggish,it is not usable in high range. Air cleaner is ok. I'm getting 7-8 psi out of the fuel filter. So I'm leaning towards injection pump or timing issues? Any thoughts?
and yes,I bought it this way,so I have 0 history.
thanks,
dave

dmetalmiki

That sounds as the fuel pump needs some adjustments. Or worst case, changing. Can you check the timing? When running try spraying diesel into the intake..if it revs up..could be the pump delivery.

dilvoy

You might have a stuck glass check valve in the return fuel nipple that is located at the top front of the Injector Pump. When it gets stuck it can cause the problem that you are having. It may be getting stuck with dry rotted bits of the rubber return fuel hoses or maybe just stuck. You can remove the nipple and try to blow through it. It is a clear glass plunger so just looking through it and seeing light is not good enough. If you can't blow through, break it out and make sure to get all the glass bits out. The little spring can stay in there or you can get it out too. Easy enough to try and it will run just fine without the plunger or you can get a new nipple assy and install it. Shouldn't be too expensive. A badly performing fuel lift pump might cause the same issue and I guess you might just change that to start with all good rubber bits on your vehicle too. If these two items are OK and you have good fuel flow, then you probably need an IP. There is a little timing mark on the timing cover and one on the IP. They should be aligned or misaligned by the thickness of the marks and no more.

Last edited:

diesel dave

After removing the pump,I found the problem. Seems water had accumulated in the engine valley at some point and had rusted the shaft that advances the timing. Cleaned out the drain hole and had the injection pump rebuilt. Runs perfect now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks