• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slow to Start

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see 2 different kinds of glowplugs on ebay. One is listed as:

LOT OF 8 HMMWV Glow Plugs M998 Hummer 6A843G115

I do not see "IN" listed as part of the ad, which I presume means the state.

Is this the type of glow plug set you have been using?

TedG

Wellman GP for humvee. 360188031071 on ebay. These are what I buy and other humvee friends!

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outstanding. Got a set ordered up. Now just waiting for parts to arrive. I appreciate your help.

Best Regards,
-Economist.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranking slow would not be glow plugs. They have nothing to do with starter speed. if your glow plugs were bad it would turn over fine but would be hard to start if at all. After it did start it would seem to have a skip for a minute and smoke a bit.

My bet is a poor ground. Check the large nut that the battery cables are grounded too. It is on the frame behind the battery box. Take it apart and clean with a wire brush to remove any corosion. That should help.
Sorry for delayed response on this comment. It cranks fine. Just occasionally is slow to start up. It has occasionally blown black smoke out at start up. I think I will replace glow plugs and controller (as both are over 20 years old as near as I can tell), track down all the connections and then go from there.

Kind Regards,
-Economist.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grounding strap arrived from KASCAR. Glowplugs arrived a few days ago. New box is in route from the Hummerpartsguy. Everything is shaping up. I will look at all the grounding points and attach the new grounding strap over the long weekend. Then follow up with the new box and glow plugs the following weekend. The problem has definitely gotten worse. On Sunday, she cranked and cranked before finally firing up. Once I ran her a while, the next start up was easy. I just need a few hours to work through all of your suggestions. I will keep all posted.

Many thanks for all the input and Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not. If the new box, grounding straps, and check of the connections do not resolve, that will be next on my list. Thanks.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New PCB box in now installed. The grounding strap was fairly easy to install as well. I did notice a fair amount of things rubbing under the doghouse. The mount for the transmission dipstick is split clean in 2. That was allowing the tube to rub under the doghouse, on the valve cover and on the bottom side of the hood. I will pull it out and weld it up this weekend. Other than that, the 2 inch lift coming soon should relieve all of the rubbing issues.

6 of the 8 glowplugs came out, no problem. The other 2 appear to be swollen. The TM has a diagram for a "glow plug removal tool". It has dimensions, but mine did not print out. Does anyone have the page from the TM that has the A, B, C, etc. dimensions listed? It is page D-48 (figure D 63.1).

Has anyone made one and used it? Would be good to know if it actually works before I fab one up.

Many thanks.

Army Kid

Banned
I had similar issue with my '85...so I ditched the twin 800cca batteries & installed twin 1000cca deep cycle marine units. It starts by just breathing on the switch now.

Army Kid

Banned
Will do so tonight and post tomorrow. Many thanks.

And, by the way, the fuel cans are excellent. I sent several others from the HML (Hummer) forum your direction.

-Economist.
I am looking for some good fuel cans... any chance you can give me a lead on this too?

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got mine from emmando22 (on the SS board). He posted to this thread. Drop him a PM. He checks in every few days, so just be patient.

Good luck.
-Economist.

Army Kid

Banned
New PCB box in now installed. The grounding strap was fairly easy to install as well. I did notice a fair amount of things rubbing under the doghouse. The mount for the transmission dipstick is split clean in 2. That was allowing the tube to rub under the doghouse, on the valve cover and on the bottom side of the hood. I will pull it out and weld it up this weekend. Other than that, the 2 inch lift coming soon should relieve all of the rubbing issues.

6 of the 8 glowplugs came out, no problem. The other 2 appear to be swollen. The TM has a diagram for a "glow plug removal tool". It has dimensions, but mine did not print out. Does anyone have the page from the TM that has the A, B, C, etc. dimensions listed? It is page D-48 (figure D 63.1).

Has anyone made one and used it? Would be good to know if it actually works before I fab one up.

Many thanks.

Did your PCB box come in with the temp sensor connector & temp sensor (but no cable) ?
I just got mine in today (same source & PN as yours), and thats how it came... unfortunately, no temp sensor = no start (wait light just blinks).
Did your truck already have this setup? Thx !

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My box had one plug on top. It also had a small plug looking thing that came separate. I did not see where to hook it up or a place to plug it in. I suppose that may be the temp sensor. I did not hook anything up other than the main plug. Mine works great.

Army Kid

Banned
My box had one plug on top. It also had a small plug looking thing that came separate. I did not see where to hook it up or a place to plug it in. I suppose that may be the temp sensor. I did not hook anything up other than the main plug. Mine works great.
ahhh, I think I figured it out. This link tells me that the extra plug is for the data logging hookup.... I thought it required another cable type to go to the sensor that came with it.
I will install the new sensor, hook it back up and try it in the morning.
I'll give you a call on your cell to tell you how I make out.

G503.com Message Forums • View topic - brand new PCB box out
SUBJECT: HMMWV Smart Start System (S3) control box, NSN 6110-01-542-7901

ISSUE: Need your help getting the word out. The new S3 control box has made its way to the field. The S3 control box is replacing the engine electrical start system (EESS) control box.

The S3 was cut into HMMWV production starting with serial number 255269. Ordering this NSN will get you the S3 box along with the temperature sensor.
The most noticeable difference is the S3 control box has three connector receptacles, unlike the EESS control box that only has two connector receptacles. The third connector receptacles on the S3 control box will be used at a later time for data logging and troubleshooting.

The EESS controller and the new S3 controller are interchangeable.

Currently the TM 9-2320-387-24P does not reference the S3 control box. This change will be incorporated in future TM updates.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks