• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sludge in bottom of filter normal?

texas30cal

There is a 6 micron final filter available from Napa that fits the original can, 2 - 10 micron filters back to back didn’t make much sense to me and I think I read here somewhere that the original finals were 2 micron? I also added a 2 micron spin on CAT 1R-0750 as a final-final lol

russojap

There is a 6 micron final filter available from Napa that fits the original can, 2 - 10 micron filters back to back didn’t make much sense to me and I think I read here somewhere that the original finals were 2 micron? I also added a 2 micron spin on CAT 1R-0750 as a final-final lol
Wow, that sounds great. I assume you have the Jatonka adapters? It never occurred to me you could use different filters, but it does make more sense, I noticed today the base is marked secondary and final. Why couldn't you just use the 2 micron for both secondary and final though?
CM20180403-41064-14994.jpg

texas30cal

I’m using the original canisters for the 10 mic secondary and the 6 micron final. I added a mounting base on the fire wall for the CAT 2 mic that is last in line. Yes, it’s now 4 filters, when I run out of 10 mic secondaries I’ll just run a 6 mic in the “final” position and leave the “secondary” empty.

russojap

I’m using the original canisters for the 10 mic secondary and the 6 micron final. I added a mounting base on the fire wall for the CAT 2 mic that is last in line. Yes, it’s now 4 filters, when I run out of 10 mic secondaries I’ll just run a 6 mic in the “final” position and leave the “secondary” empty.
Ok, thanks for clarifying that, I wasn't sure if the spin on adapters only take one kind of filter. Do you happen to have the 6 micron NAPA part number? Thanks.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that sounds great. I assume you have the Jatonka adapters? It never occurred to me you could use different filters, but it does make more sense, I noticed today the base is marked secondary and final. Why couldn't you just use the 2 micron for both secondary and final though?
View attachment 743376
Primary catches things that are about 50 microns or bigger, plus the water, secondary catches things that are 10 microns or larger, but lets smaller stuff get through, the final filter at 6 microns catches stuff that is 6 microns or larger, and his fourth CAT filter catches anything bigger than 2 microns. If you put the filters that catch too small a particle size earlier than called for, they clog up much faster. That defeats the main purpose! Two 10 micron filters in a row will make sure they really deliver that performance without hindering the fuel flow.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe in the beginning there was a fiber washer in stead of and O ring. First goes the cotter pin in retaining bolt to stop first washer from going to the bottom of the canister. Next is the steel washer then the spring then another steel washer then a fiber washer that fit tight on the shaft then the brass bowel bowel facing up. If the O ring you are trying is too small it might try and go through the brass bowel and get cut if I read what you posted is correct.

Last edited:

russojap

Believe in the beginning there was a fiber washer in stead of and O ring. First goes the cotter pin in retaining bolt to stop first washer from going to the bottom of the canister. Next is the steel washer then the spring then another steel washer then a fiber washer that fit tight on the shaft then the brass bowel bowel facing up. If the O ring you are trying is too small it might try and go through the brass bowel and get cut if I read what you posted is correct.
It sounds like I put them together completely opposite of what you are describing but all of the parts were under the filters when I took them off. There wasn't enough room to turn the brass bowl upside down so the thin rim would bite into the cork on the secondaries. There was enough room on the primary to turn the bowl upside down though, but now the original is gone, hooray!

Here is what the new PRIMARY filter looked like after it was installed for a few days without ever being used. Notice how it doesn't appear to have sealed correctly at the top.

Personally I just don't think these after market filters fit right at all.

IMG_20181006_182544.jpg
IMG_20181006_182528.jpg

Last edited:

russojap

I’ve thought the same thing myself....
Well at least you know your good on the final end with the big cat, and I'm at least stopping whatever the wix will catch first.

Maybe I should have got the secondary kit first, but it was considerably more expensive.

Last edited:

texas30cal

I’ve got a parts truck, I may pull the primary assy off of it and see if it has something mine is missing, if it’s the same I’ll prob do what you did and call jotonka.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea that primary can be tough. They say you should never spin the canister. Well that's what I do. I loosen the bolt just enough to get the canister to spin and I spin off the canister. Clean/replace check for correct hardware. Then to get it started for install I hold the bolt with my finger and spin the canister till it get real close to the housing but not quite touching the gasket. Then hold canister and complete turning the bolt till it is seated. The secondary and final yea got to be Popeye and have strong fore arms to lift the canister long enough to get the threads started. All this laying on the fender trying to pull up the canister. Wish they would have put inspection plates on the fender wells like the 5 tons. Would make filter and IP work so much easer. Consider it the days workout and have a beer.

Last edited:

jatonka

jatonka is a handle I use from back in the CB radio days, I'm that old! stands for John Adam Tennis then onka for the toys I played with as a kid, makes " jatonka ".

I created all of the spin on adapters for real reasons for all of my own multifuels, after they all performed properly I gave some to a few friends to see if they also approved them, the rest is history. Have sold many many of them through out the world, can't say I have ended up with a dissatisfied customer. I stand behind what I build, always.

The primary spin-on is 12 micron and the secondary spin-ons are 6 micron.

jatonka

russojap

jatonka is a handle I use from back in the CB radio days, I'm that old! stands for John Adam Tennis then onka for the toys I played with as a kid, makes " jatonka ".

I created all of the spin on adapters for real reasons for all of my own multifuels, after they all performed properly I gave some to a few friends to see if they also approved them, the rest is history. Have sold many many of them through out the world, can't say I have ended up with a dissatisfied customer. I stand behind what I build, always.

The primary spin-on is 12 micron and the secondary spin-ons are 6 micron.

jatonka
Ok thank you, I had a feeling the big Tonka trucks might have been a factor, anyhow it's a catchy handle. I'm definitely a convert to the spin on crowd and looking forward to adding the secondaries and oil spin on kits in the near future. First I have to buy some windshields though, and a headlight, brake lines, master cylinder rebuild kit, temp gauge or sending unit, turbo hose, axle boots and shutdown cable. Thanks again for a great product.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks