• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sluggish 2003 HMMWV

Mr_Carman007

My initial thought is glowplugs... but i am sure you guys have much more experience than me as I am new to the community.

I have a few questions:

1st: do you guys know of any mechanics here in the central florida area (Orlando) who will work on these magnificent vehicles?

2nd: My truck is very sluggish from time to time (typically when it is not up to operating temp, but sometimes it does it when it is at operating time as well), sluggish to the point where I can put my foot to the floor and the truck barely wants to move, but then after a few seconds will slowly start to accelerate. Could this be glow plug related or is it something different?

3rd: how can i tell what the engine temp is, i have read all sorts of things about how inaccurate the temp gauges are on these trucks. Mine seems to be one of those as it will get to "operating temp and beyond" quicker than any other diesel... hell any other vehicle in general that I have ever owned.

Thanks for the help, I look forward to hearing what your recommendations are!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, not sure exactly where to start, first of all if it is running the glow plugs do nothing after a very few minutes, so that is unlikely an issue.
When you say sluggish do you mean very little happens when you step on the accelerator or does the engine rev up but it does not go anywhere?
The first would likely be a fuel or throttle control issue, the second would be a transmission issue, make sure to check the trans fluid level.

As far as temp, if the gauge goes north of 200 deg the fan should kick on and at anything over say 40MPH this should be obvious as it is loud and slows the truck down a little, Do make sure the belts are tight and the coolant is present in the expansion tank, It is highly recommended to download and read the TMs, IMHO a
HMMWV is not a vehicle you can depend solely on a third party to maintain for you, you need to be "involved"

Last edited:
Reactions: NDT

BLK HMMWV

What have you done to it since you received it ?
Did you get it via auction?
or buy it from a private party?
So you say it's a 2003 are you sure or is that just what paperwork says.
What engine in it?
what Trans in it?
Turbo or N/A?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a fuel issue, ether the IP is not getting fuel for what could be several reasons or the return line from the IP is plugged, possibly the check valve in the IP, it does seem you need a qualified mechanic to look at it as that can put you in a very dangerous predicament, sorry I cannot help there, but hopefully someone can...

Mr_Carman007

Thanks for the info guys! I did buy it on Govplanet, i haven't done anything to it since I got it. I am going off the paperwork to determine the year. Is there a more accurate way to check?

It is a 6.5l NA

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a serial number sticky on this forum that should get you the year, of course the FIRST thing you should have done before going on the road was to change (or have changed) all the fluids and filters!