• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SM465/NP205 swap, what's needed?

pevrs114

OK gents, long term goal is to swap an SM465/NP205 combo into my truck. I already have the trans/xfer combo sitting in the shed. I believe it's from an '81 model, which would make it a mechanical clutch assy.

Here's what I have:

Bellhousing
Clutch fork
SM465 (unknown spline counts)
Shifter
Adapter
NP205

Here's what I know I still need:

6.2L flywheel
Pressure plate
Clutch
Throwout bearing
Fork boot
trans shifter boot
trans shifter knob
xfer shift linkage
xfer shifter
xfer shifter boot
xfer shifter knob
Trans tunnel floorplate
Correct crossmember
Manual trans steering column (preferably tilt?)
Clutch pedal assembly
Z-bar (isn't this the linkage from the pedal to the clutch fork?)
Possible driveshaft length mods

What else can you guys think of that I need to get my hands on?

Thanks!

powerhouseduece

RE: SM465/NP205 swap, what

that is a unstopable combo but i would not use a tilt column, i had nothing but problems out of mine when i had my old blazer. 2cents

pevrs114

I only was considering a tilt column b/c I'm 5'7" and I usually find tilt to be more comfortable in most everything I drive. However, the natural tilt that's in my truck now isn't bad at all. So, tilt isn't a requirement by any means. What sorts of problems did you have?

powerhouseduece

the bolts holding the whole thing ALWAYS worked loose. i had to pull the column apart and loctite all the bolts a few times. thats just my 2cents some people have never had a problem with them

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on parts availability you might consider a hydraulic operated clutch as an option to the classic mechanical linkage. Very dependable if done right. And possibly your bell housing already comes with the treaded bolt holes for a slave cylinder pushing backwards on the outer end of the fork.
I found that to be the most practical solution when I put a 6.2/manual 5th in my 88’ K1500.

G.

OLDCHEV4X4

Check the splined sleeve in the TC/trans adapter. See if it is sloppy and replace it if it is. I always replace the 2 seals in the adapter too.
The Z bar is the pivot point between the clutch pedal rod and the clutch fork rod. There is a small bracket that bolts to the top of the frame on one end of the z bar, and a ball stud that screws into the engine block on the other end of the z bar.
I have seen the little frame bracket held on with rivets too. So if your going to the junk yard be prepared to cut rivets.
Good luck. I went the other way on my civi Blazer. From stick to auto.

aboonski

Regarding the tilt column, is there any difference in the wiring from the one that comes in the M1008 and one that would come out of a 1989 GMC Jimmy? Thinking about putting a tilt in my CUCV but did not want to run into different wiring! Thanks!

Croatan_Kid

Definitely go hydraulic clutch! Sure, with a manual linkage you aint gotta bleed nothing or worry about it freezing.....but parts are easier to come by and troubleshooting, set up, and assmebly are a breeze! Plus by 84 or 85, all full size GM trucks had hydraulic clutches so the parts are readily available and the punch-outs and mounting holes are already on the cab's sheetmetal.

84cucv1ton

i have a sm465 from a 88 k5 and a 87 k30 with a sm465 and 205. i have all the parts from both to do a complete swap. can send the pics and you can see what you need if that helps

pevrs114

84, that would be great.

I'm checking out CK5 (already a member there but looking for a good swap thread). Hydraulic clutch wouldn't be a problem, the only thing I've got is the bellhousing for a mech clutch so I could go either way.

kennyw

I have a couple hydro clutch pedal assemblies for sale over on CK5... If you go that route I would buy a new master, slave and hydraulic hose. But buy the bellhousing, clutch fork and pedal assembly used.

AJMBLAZER

tRUSTyK5 (did he get a new screen name kenny?) and colby have both done swaps in the last few years. I know at least one other guy has partially documented it.

pevrs114

Thanks for the pics, they really help.

The last one is a crossmember with skidplate?

What did you drive with the PTO?

I'm going today (provided it's not pouring down rain) to the junkyard to check on a few clutch assemblies I saw in trucks last week. I didn't pay attention to see if they were mechanical or hydraulic so I need to verify. I'm also going to check on a PTO winch from a MV (10T bridging truck, IIRC) so I'm researching PTO information.

Thanks again for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks