• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SM465 Tranny Questions

1009CUCV413

My 1985 M1009 is running great, the TMH400 is shifting smooth. The truck only has 30,000 miles on it.

I really like manual transmissions in cars and trucks. A manual improves gas mileage, increase life of brakes, improve control of the vehicle towing especially long steep hills and they don't require cooling (cooling = inefficiency).

In my opinion my M1009 would benefit from a manual. From my research the SM465 4-speed seems like a great option for my truck.

My questions are, what would does it take to convert my truck to a manual? And are the benefits (better MPG/braking ability) worth the money, time and aggravation?

Thanks a lot.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than the parts of course. The conversion is pretty easy. And can be done on a weekend. You will need new driveshafts. All the locations for the chutch holes are marked already. So drilling is a snap. Your biggest problem is going to be locating a flywheel. The 6.2 manual flywheel is a rare bird. As far as the money goes. Add up how much all this will cost. And then ask yourself how long will it take you to burn that mush money in diesel? I have a 1008 that i converted to a SM465. And i have a stock M1028. There is only a 2MPG difference between the two. So it would probally take you some time to get your money back. Unless you already have the parts.

1009CUCV413

I figured I could sell my TH400 for a few hundred dollars, covering the cost of the manual transmission itself. So I would need new front and rear driveshafts? What other parts?

Cucvnut

I have a complete sm465 plus linkage and peddels and bell housing i don't want anymore. its a non hydro but you can adapt it. if you are interested let me know.

nhdiesel

I just converted a '97 Dodge Ram 1500 from auto to manual for a local guy, and the entire swap cost him a hair over $1000 including a part's truck and my labor. It took 3 days, mostly because we had to wait overnight for parts twice.

You mention mileage. if you are really hoping for a mileage increase, I'd suggest going with a 5-speed with Overdrive. With the gearing of those military trucks, you would have a huge gain in mpg. Of course it would be less "original" than an old style cast-iron 4-speed, and would cost a little more initially, but that would be made back if you drive the truck much.

Otherwise, the SM465 is as brutally tough as a "light truck" transmission can get. Using donor parts from the right truck, your swap would be quite a bit easier than the one I did, where I had to match up electronics, make the computer happy there was no auto trans any more, etc.

Jim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've thought a little about this as well. If I did it, it would be to the 1008. If I could afford anything, I'd do the 465 and a ranger torque splitter. That would add up quick. I see folks adapting 3053A deuce trannys to small and big blocks so it should easily be adaptable to the 6.2. Wonder how easy/hard it would be to adapt it to a 205 transfer case?

nhdiesel

Real easy, if you use an older divorced 205. Just 1 custom driveshaft in between. That is how I was going to do my Dodge Cummins Ram that i wanted to put a 3053a into. I even bought the Spicer and a Ford version 205 (newer Ram has front diff on driver's side). You can use an older International pickup or Dodge divorced 205 for a Chevy. Check out:

Spicer 3053A Transmission - Tech Articles - Jp Magazine

for an article about putting the 3053a behind a small block Chevy. They also show using a divorced NP205 behind it.

Jim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I read that article. Somewhere out under the palmettos is a divorced 205 from an early Dodge. I haven't touched it in years. One of those things I may never use but considering how hard they are to find, will never sell. That article said Rube Adapters may be working on something. Rube has no website. Must be tough to peddle your products this day and age without a website.

bgekky3

When I went to a NV4500 I had to lengthen the driveshaft. I don't have a side by side comparison, but I would bet the SM 465 is shorter.

2deuce

You can find the np208 behind the sm465 also. Probably the safest way to get them is together, that way you don't have to worry about spline count and adapters matching. Also if you get a later model like 1985 it should have the hyd clutch, but it will probably have the 208.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks