• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Small hole in oil pan M1045A2

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a small hole in my oil pan and the hole is high enough on the side of the oil pan that it has stopped leaking. So I am wondering what my options are, other than replacing th oil pan. Thanx.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done this before on an old ford truck, empty or lower the oil level, then you can use a 3M pad and bring it to bare metal and use JB Weld or a quality epoxy, if the hole is really small you could also insert a sheet metal screw or a rivet , then epoxy over it

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does it look like the cause of the hole is?

Remove and weld or replace is the only long term option.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does it look like the cause of the hole is?

Remove and weld or replace is the only long term option.
The hole is only about a 10th of and inch wide and is about 6 inches up the side of the pan. Have no idea how it happened........

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it does not look to have been caused by rust, Maybe sand it down, epoxy over it and insert a short self-tapping screw. Cover that with a bit more epoxy.

JB weld is good epoxy.

I've also seen repairs with just a screw with a piece of thin gasket for a washer.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another vote for JB weld. I have had it last for years on a car gas tank. I also have a diesel farm tractor (Case 1494 with dual tanks) that had multiple places with holes after I sandblasted the tanks. I covered the holes with JB weld and painted the tanks. That was in 2004 I think and the repair is still good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another vote for JB weld. I have had it last for years on a car gas tank. I also have a diesel farm tractor (Case 1494 with dual tanks) that had multiple places with holes after I sandblasted the tanks. I covered the holes with JB weld and painted the tanks. That was in 2004 I think and the repair is still good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gunna try it tomorrow....let y'all know how it works out. Please fell free to join us on Facebook at Texas Humvee.

Amer-team

Excellent tips in this thread. I too vote for low cost JB weld. Had a one inch crack in a Mercedes diesel engine aluminum oil pan. Drained oil, heated to make sure all the oil was cleaned off. Did a straight JB weld and drove that car for 100,000 more miles before selling it with no leak or problems. Have also used it on a couple of fuel tank issues with great results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks