• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Small leak from rear transmission

rjinga

Disclaimer - I'm not a mechanic, and I did do a thread search AND check the TM manuel before posting.

I've got a small leak coming from my rear differential. It appears to be coming out of where the U joints meet the differential? (see circle in photo)

I have been in the water lately. No more than a few minutes at most (got temporarily stuck), but the differential was probably submerged. I noticed a "wet spot" the morning after being in the water. It was a bigger leak/spot that day than today.

Possible causes and solutions?

Attachments

Last edited:

ODdave

Yup, easy fix. a impact will help removing the pinion nut.
Dont throw caution to the wind though, you do need to know what your doing. The pinion nut needs to be re-installed to the EXACT same tourque that it was proir to removing. to loose and the pinion can "walk" in & out causing gear wear & noise, posibly spin a bearing on the pinion. To tight and there will be excesive gear wear & heat on the bearings causing them to burn up.

"technicaly" you should repace the crush sleave.

I am not trying to scare or deture you from doing the job, just read up and make shure you do it correctly.

bguy193

You will have to pull the pinion to replace the crush sleave. If you do not replace the pinion bearings you will need to have 10-15 in lbs of rotating torque and 20-25 in lbs for new bearings. Some people that do not want to tear down the rear end mark the pinion nut in relation to the pinion and count the threads to reseat the nut in the same position.......But I do not recommend it. Once the crush sleeves tension between the bearings is released it cannot hold the propper tension again causing improper pinion depth leading to ring gear damage. My advice would be to get a book on rear ends and study, or take it in to a shop It's really not that bad of a job it just takes time and sometimes a little swearing. It is also a good idea to buy a couple of sleeves in case you overtighten the first one, because then you have to start over.
Good luck and happy trucking

rjinga

Well, I got her back from the mechanic today and I did have a leaking pinion seal, AND water in the rear differential. (I've got to stop listening to my 14 yo son - "I think we can make it through Dad!" We didn't; but, after a few minutes of submerged forwards and backwards straining, we were able to back out)

I think we need to start a new thread - What have you PAID to have done to your CUCV lately? I'll start it off: replaced rear pinion seal; drain, dry, refill rear differential; new oil and filter; new fuel filter; top off coolant; check all fluids; lube. It's only money, right? :neutral:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks