• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Small log trailer from M720 dolly set?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have made a decision to use the M720!

Got one that looked like it has never been used since the shipping box which contains hoses etc is still strapped to it. When I inspected there was some easily repaired damage on the lunette stop and a flat tire. Most in the lot did not sell so it was way cheap.

I almost wish I had bid on two just in case I need an extra part but I didn't want to make two 300 mile+ trips for pickup. Shipping for two would have been about $400, still cheaper than I anticipated.

The dolly set tow speed for the M832 is listed at 30mph max when not carrying a shelter. No limit is shown for the M720 but I expect there may be similar issues because of the short wheel base or because of the light weight.

Anybody got ideas on how to increase safe speed? Maybe reduce tire pressure down to about 12lbs? I am considering adding a couple of struts to lock the steering and lift the front wheels off the ground so the dolly set will pull like a two wheel. I estimate 700 lbs tongue weight when set up as a two wheel. I have a weight distribution hitch I can use to improve handling of the towing vehicle.

I am towing it with a one ton 4x4 Ford van and will choose a route off the freeway. I will be inspecting and greasing the wheel bearings.

Now to wait for EUC. My first EUC took more than 60 working days. Hopefully they know me better now.
Congrats on the win.
Keep up posted on your recovery and build please.

forestMog

Note: California will not let you register M720 Dolly sets. Evidently some yahoos overloaded a
shelter and it came apart on the freeway with obvious results.
You may be able to register it if modified, but I don't know very much about that.I have a M720 in parts here in Berkeley CA which I might sell. It needs a little work but I think it is salvagable.
Bruce
I might opt for using the load bars to simplify my conversion to log dolly if the price is right.

forestMog

My opinion - get a M1061 2-axle trailer, put some side posts on it to hold the logs on to it. That way you can use it on or off road, without modifying the trailer itself too much.
Thanks for the pointer on the M1061 trailer. I looked at a nice LAUNDRY UNIT, TRAILER MOUNTED, MODEL M85 (which uses the M1061 trailer) that recently sold in California for about $2k. They are very heavy built at 5850 lbs for their stated 5 ton load capacity. I am puzzled at how heavy they are in comparison to my 6 foot wide, 14ft long aluminum body A/MK-32 weapons trailer which weighs about 2500lbs and can carry 4 ton. Maybe a 4 wheel wagon has an design advantage weight wise because the load is better distributed and they can use a lighter frame.

NEIOWA

I have made a decision to use the M720!

Got one that looked like it has never been used since the shipping box which contains hoses etc is still strapped to it. When I inspected there was some easily repaired damage on the lunette stop and a flat tire. Most in the lot did not sell so it was way cheap.

I almost wish I had bid on two just in case I need an extra part but I didn't want to make two 300 mile+ trips for pickup. Shipping for two would have been about $400, still cheaper than I anticipated.

The dolly set tow speed for the M832 is listed at 30mph max when not carrying a shelter. No limit is shown for the M720 but I expect there may be similar issues because of the short wheel base or because of the light weight.

Anybody got ideas on how to increase safe speed? Maybe reduce tire pressure down to about 12lbs? I am considering adding a couple of struts to lock the steering and lift the front wheels off the ground so the dolly set will pull like a two wheel. I estimate 700 lbs tongue weight when set up as a two wheel. I have a weight distribution hitch I can use to improve handling of the towing vehicle.

I am towing it with a one ton 4x4 Ford van and will choose a route off the freeway. I will be inspecting and greasing the wheel bearings.

Now to wait for EUC. My first EUC took more than 60 working days. Hopefully they know me better now.

With frt/rr hooked directly together they snake all over at any speed. Two in series is a really 150mi long drive on a 90F in July. Twice. Not again. Snake doesn't even begin. When you get your frame in between the frt/rr I'm sure will trailer at 50mph with no problem.

A M832 or M1022 (no box) pulls nice as can be at 60mph. Wt vs WB?

Anyone have an NSN for kit to convert an S280 shelter to dolly transport?

NEIOWA

I've often wondered about creative uses for Dolly Sets. Your idea has some merit. I've thought about a simple pallet/flat-bed that could be used as a float in parades or for utility purposes.

I agree. Just rather neat (and cheap). Have 4x M720, 1x M832, 1x M1022.

The only one conversion is complete on is the M832. Installed pair of 4" box beams for a frame and mounted MEP009B genset. Idea is when in operation can drop the thing to ground level for ease of operation/maint.

forestMog

I agree. Just rather neat (and cheap). Have 4x M720, 1x M832, 1x M1022.

The only one conversion is complete on is the M832. Installed pair of 4" box beams for a frame and mounted MEP009B genset. Idea is when in operation can drop the thing to ground level for ease of operation/maint.
After an adventure in moving the unit about 50 miles at 30mph max to avoid snake, I gave up and put it sideways on an 8' wide trailer to move it another 100 miles. Used a couple of pallets and 2x6s to make a ramp and pulled it on with a come along. Worked OK. My conversion is still underway.

I used 6x6 tube to connect some log bunks. Stakes are not shown in pic.

I plan to use tires for fenders since this will be used in the woods and on the highway. The pic shows how they will fit close. The tubing will be cut down the middle of the tire and a straight piece welded on to support the outside of the fender at both top and bottom. Then attach to the underside of the steering arm and the hub.

Wish me luck.

Attachments

NEIOWA

I plan to use tires for fenders since this will be used in the woods and on the highway. The pic shows how they will fit close. The tubing will be cut down the middle of the tire and a straight piece welded on to support the outside of the fender at both top and bottom. Then attach to the underside of the steering arm and the hub.

Wish me luck.

I like that idea for fenders. Cute and cheap. Doesn't get any better than that.

forestMog

Congrats on the win.
Keep up posted on your recovery and build please.
After a LOT of head scratching I finally removed the single line trailer brakes from the mog and replaced it with the Midland Emergency Relay Valve (MS53004-1) unit from the A/M32k 4a munitions trailer I got last year. Apparently this relay valve is used on a lot of military equipment. My M32k brake system had too many missing parts so I gave up on it. Now that I have it installed on the mog it all seems so simple. There is a lot of information on line but it took a few tries to set it up. One of the things which confused me is the 'changeover valve' on the mog. I think it makes the mog air brake system boost pressure but I am still not sure. I am not 100% sure that I have set up the brakes right but they work. Hopefully the changeover valve adds brake pressure when trailer is loaded.

In my search for information I found this test procedure for the Midland brake relay. Figure E-1. Bench testing the emergency relay valve

Anyway I put a small test load of firewood logs on and drove it down a 30% switchback with no problem. My small log trailer is pretty long but I have figured out a couple of ways to back it up. The main way is to hook it to a front pintle so I can maneuver better and can see which way the wheels are pointing. The second way, which I use when unloaded is to lift the front end off the ground with my crane and use the breakaway chains to lock the trailer tongue straight. It is then a 2 wheel trailer, albeit with a very long tongue, but it works.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKoRH8-A6Aw[/media]

Attachments

paradeduty

Sorry I didn't see your Thread before regarding your M720 Log Trailer - very good idea.

From the video, looks like it may be working out OK for you.

I took a M720 Dolly Set and used it to build a Christmas Parade Float (in the shape of a "Lifesize Nativity Creche/Stable").

I only use it at VERY slow speeds (parade) but it seems to be holding up quite well. Handles great. Floor of the Creche is 24' long x 8' wide. Roof beams are 6 x 12's (5 1/2 x 11 1/2). Overall she is about 34' long. The kids have a great time.

Attachments

StrykerPerry

make sure the hitch is straight or it will bounce alot if straight it barely hops at low speed but you will notice before you leave a parking lot if its not straight it will bounce allot also use straps not chains the straps flex enough to allow the hitch to go up and down for terrain also you can back them easily like this i can back without it but its nice

Hampton52

I Agree!
The one I just pick up from auction had a rusty center pin. The first 150~200 miles it towed great up to 80 mph.
But then the grease started to work into the bushing and life got very interesting.
It was the first time I ever though ... maybe I shouldn't have greased my equipment.