• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Small riveted bracket on pass. side hood?

dcbrown

On the passenger side of the hood, approx where the hood numbers go, there is a small bracket of some sort. It's about 1 3/4" long, 1/4" wide and is mounted at a slight diagonal angle. It's got one rivet on each end attaching it to the hood. It's flat on both ends but is formed into a "C" (open side of the "C" faces the hood. I can attach a photo, if nobody recognizes my description, but they are common on M-37s. I've never seen it utilized in any way. Can you guys tell me what this is for? Thanks
Chris

ranger.41

DC Brown
On the passenger side of the windshield upper right corner there should be a small rod. This rod fits in to the C bracket. It is used to secure the the hood in the fully open position. It holds the hood very well, use it.
Ranger

Jones

ranger.41 is right on both counts.
Always secure the hood when it's open-- especially if you're working on the engine. Hoods, not secured, can and have injured or killed people by falling on them.

dcbrown

Thanks a bunch. I don't see a rod on mine. Is there a picture or diagram of this rod anywhere that you know of? I'd like to see one, so maybe I can work on a replacement. Thanks again for the help.

dcbrown

Thanks a ton Carter! That was incredibly helpful. I'm thinking maybe it was removed because it would interfere with the Wittenberg hardtop. I'll have to see if I can craft something. Thanks a ton for the pics and help.

ken mcculloch

Anybody know where you can get a replacement hood holder rod & the bracket that attaches to the windshield? All I seem to be able to find is parts for the hood "prop rods" and their bumpers. I am trying to find what Carter has shown in his pics above.

thanks, Ken

MDSA

I have a parts M37 that still has the hood "c" clamp, rod, and windshield bracket. Let me see how much work it takes to get the windshield bracket off. It looks pretty solidly attached. They are rusty but all there.

ken mcculloch

Brian, that would be awesome if you had these parts. The bracket that is welded to the window frame is still on my M37 so I would not require that piece. All I need is the rod and the bracket that requires the 2 screws.

thanks, Ken

MDSA

Ken,

Glad I waited to hear that you have the windshield bracket. I'll grind the rivets down and get the parts in the mail.

ken mcculloch

brian, $10 is more than generous. Thanks.

BTW, just to make sure we are on the same page... I need the rod & the bracket that "screws" to the windshield (outside end on the passenger side). I do not need the hood bracket or the bracket that is welded to the windshield (closest to the center of the windshield). Hope that makes sense.

Now, I am new to the forum so how do we contact each other for shipping address & money sending address?
Hood Rod2.jpg
thanks, Ken

Last edited:

MDSA

I was not clear on what you needed. I have the rod, but I just checked and the passenger side bracket is broken off on the parts truck. However, I checked my good M 37 and that screw in bracket looks easy to fabricate.

not a good picture, a piece of sheet metal about 3/8" wide and 1 3/4" long. I can take mine off and get better pics in daylight if you need them.

We can PM addresses if we finalize things. To send a PM, click my screen name. A window should open with several options. One option will be private message. You receive PM's under notifications near the top right of the page. It will be orange if you have a message.

Attachments