• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

smaller steering wheel

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M35A3 wheel is the same size as the original M809 wheel. It's just a much better quality wheel with a thick rubber coating. The part numbers do cross reference. It's not "gutural interference" I have problems with, my legs are to d@mn long. My thighs get in the way. When I get in the driver's seat, I have to go @ss first to compress the springer down to make room.

tactical45

I have an m931 and wanted to replace the steering wheel with this MRAP one from EasternSurplus. Does anyone know if it will match up

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor

wdbtchr

On my M51a2 I shortened the shaft as much as I could without cutting under the hood, and raised the column as much as I could in the dash drilling new holes. This gave me just enough room to put my feet on the pedals. When the cushion on the back of my seat disintegrated I didn't replace it which gave be more mid clearance. I can live with it.

catskillpond

Anyone solve the steering wheel problem seems I have the same problem after 40 years I thought about pulling the wheel and have an adapter made up by the machinist guess ill have to find a steering wheel first

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
without power, you need some diameter to gain leverage to turn it. with power steering, you can get very creative with location. i used a 800 series dash in mine, the column is in a completely different location than a M35.

acme66

On the wheel replacement, how about smashing the old plastic off the center of yours and welding it into the center of the wheel you would like to use? I seem to remember the steering wheels on a Chev S10 were an all metal inside with rubber only on the outer edge. It would take some time and care to make sure it was welded on straight and true but it seems very doable. Hook up the born button from the donor wheel if it didn't get all melty.

Ken

dmetalmiki

Does anyone know if this is a standard type of spline so that one could install a typical aftermarket steering wheel? The goal being a smaller one to avoid gutular interference..
Take out the mounting bolts on the dash. Lift the whole assembly a little higher (for easment) Mark pop re-drill and re-fit. Good luck. I have done all my trucks (and i'm only 152 LBS.)

wcuhillbilly

eh.. The stock steering wheel is fine. If you have an issue with clearance then YOU should go on a diet, not the truck. Just my 2cents
Ok,,, I dont have gutteral interferance, but a slightly smaller wheel on my 816 would be nice as I keep getting my hand caught between the wheel and the door edge, and or the window crank, especially while backing with gloves on.... Im just wanting about 2" out of the diameter..... Otherwise I agree completely with JohnnyB

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks