• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoke after glowplug swap

As I understand it, by getting rid of the resistor it makes it full time 12volt. Which keeps you from destroying all your glow plugs if one goes bad. The way I remember it being explained is that once one goes bad it starts dividing that extra voltage among the other GP's.

Is that right or am I way off?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I understand it, by getting rid of the resistor it makes it full time 12volt. Which keeps you from destroying all your glow plugs if one goes bad. The way I remember it being explained is that once one goes bad it starts dividing that extra voltage among the other GP's.

Is that right or am I way off?
I too would like a definitive here. I just replaced the glow plugs(Ac13's) due to long crank times with 60G's, I did not bypass the resistor bank, it is working wonderfully. It was 9 degrees, It lit off less than 5 seconds of cranking.
Couldn't you tell if a glowplug or plugs are going bad by the WAIT light cycling faster than it should?

cucv1833

So are we saying it is a good modification, or a must modification?

I say its a GOOD modification but not a Must. But thats the first thing I did when I got my M1009.

I bypassed the resistor bank with a direct 12v feed from the front battery and installed new AC-60 GPs the added a manual push button for back up. No worries and works great.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me say it like this. If in your house, when one bulb blew it caused all the others all to blow with it, but you could change that with 10 minutes, less than $5(changing one wire), would you?

The CUCV GP system is the way it is, is a compromise to optimize the NATO slave port.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To reiterate the above. Those two resisters on the firewall covered by the black cover reduce the 24 volt to 12 volts for the whole truck and not just the glow plugs. ....... The entire truck's system demands are routed through these two resistors.

Can you show that to me in the wiring diagrams? Or in pictures?

Thats a new one to me.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not new info, It's been posted before. Unfortunately, it is incorrect.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me say it like this. If in your house, when one bulb blew it caused all the others all to blow with it, but you could change that with 10 minutes, less than $5(changing one wire), would you?

The CUCV GP system is the way it is, is a compromise to optimize the NATO slave port.
Just top play devils advocate, are you saying it's a design flaw? ;)

cpf240

To reiterate the above. Those two resisters on the firewall covered by the black cover reduce the 24 volt to 12 volts for the whole truck and not just the glow plugs.

jimm1009

Strange... I took my resistors out, and my truck still runs just fine... must be magic.

The resistors are only used by the GP system, nothing else on the truck runs through those resistors.

This has been covered many, many, many times here.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just top play devils advocate, are you saying it's a design flaw? ;)

Not a flaw, just a compromise(that civilian owners do not need), unless your expect to need combat support from Allied nations.

ryan77

To reiterate the above. Those two resisters on the firewall covered by the black cover reduce the 24 volt to 12 volts for the whole truck and not just the glow plugs. The whole reason for the CUCV being a partial 24 volt system is to make it compatable with other 24 volt devices like the radios as the M1009 was the Commander's Vehicle in the case of the Army.
The whole truck is 12 volts except for the starter and the sutoff for the fuel pump. The entire truck's system demands are routed through these two resistors. I use 11G glow plugs and have for 17 years. I am on my second set now and they are 9 years old.
They have a wider spade connector than the OEM ones.
You could also have a bad ground on the glow plug relay too. Either side of the power + or - having a high resistance connection will make heat.

CAUTION: It is very important to put some anti sieze on the threads of the glow plugs and also the fuel nozzles if and when you ever take them out.
Obviously you don't wantto smear it on the actual element of the plug but a decent amount on the threads will help save a lot of "worty dirds" down the road. Just don't ask how I know.:driver:

jimm1009

The fuel shut off is 12 volts on the cucv's not 24 volt unless u have a hummer ip pump in it!

Just for folks searching in the future, it's called the "BATTERY BOOSTER RESISTOR" in the intermediate parts TM if you are looking for it (figure 47).

Milkman357

I just put in my New AC 60g glow plugs. I was apparently down to 3 remaining glow plugs (that worked), they were not AC 60g but I think Wellmans..
With only three glow plugs the circuitry clicks and makes noises. In the future I will use this as a sign the glow plug system needs attention. With the new Glow Plugs it's like its new. No extra clicking of relays...
The wellmans were less than two years old. It would seem, as stated by others, that once one glow plug goes bad it's a cascade failure.
I've done the Starter relay and spin on filter mods.. I will be doing this as soon as it's done raining/sleeting out. Steel Soldiers Rocks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks