• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoke from Dipstick Tube

cmroles

Today while tinkering around with my M1009, I pulled out the engine oil dipstick while the engine was idling. As soon as I pulled it out, smoke started puffing out of the dipstick tube. Now, I'm not a "Diesel Mechanic", but this seems like a bad thing to me....:confused:. I assume it means that exhaust gasses are leaking into the crankcase somehow.

Is this a sure sign that my engine is totally hosed, or is it perhaps something minor?

The truck starts up with only about ~1 second of cranking (even after sitting for several days) and seems to run strong. I also haven't noticed an offensive amount of smoke from the exhaust (even when the engine is cold).

ralbelt

CDR valve clogged or dirty.

Mine was smoking at oil fill also, had a bad head gashet and cracked head, after repairing and a few oil changes no smoke/ steam.

bratpackdad

Replace the CDR valve they are cheap. Sounds like blow by to me.

If that doesn't resolve it then you better keep a good eye on your oil level, because oil is getting into the combustion half of the motor.

cmroles

CDR valve clogged or dirty.

Mine was smoking at oil fill also, had a bad head gashet and cracked head, after repairing and a few oil changes no smoke/ steam.
OK...so CDR needs to be cleaned. Will it hurt the engine to drive it like this, or should I park until I can clean it out?

DokWatson

You don't have to replace it. Blast it with WD-40 until its clean. You've probably heard of a PCV valve, same idea. The only thing its going to hurt is your power and use more oil than normal, it won't cause any catastrophic failure.

You'll probably find your truck runs a whole lot better once its clean.

Last edited:

cmroles

If that doesn't resolve it then you better keep a good eye on your oil level, because oil is getting into the combustion half of the motor.
Just a thought, but if oil were making it into the combustion chamber wouldn't this thing smoke like an SOB out the exhaust? I'm basing this strictly off experience with gasoline engines (I'm pretty new to diesel).

Thanks

M1009

i found a CDR valve at Courtesy Chevrolet it was $25.00 i bought a new one to put on the truck and now i have used cleaned one as a back up, and yes it does run a whole lot better. The Mlitary show was a lot of fun this year - I was kinda shocked as to how much attention my rig was getting - thanks for the compliment. when did i meet you? Were you with Alex? I am sorry i forgot your name if you were.

cmroles

i found a CDR valve at Courtesy Chevrolet it was $25.00 i bought a new one to put on the truck and now i have used cleaned one as a back up, and yes it does run a whole lot better. The Mlitary show was a lot of fun this year - I was kinda shocked as to how much attention my rig was getting - thanks for the compliment. when did i meet you? Were you with Alex? I am sorry i forgot your name if you were.
I was there about noon on Saturday with my 13 year old nephew.

I'll check into the CDR at Courtesy. I like the idea of putting in a new one and cleaning the old one for a spare. Hopefully they're still available....

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing wrong with smoke coming out from the dipstick when you pull it out... when you open the oil fill does smoke come out? yep thats right... take a look into your air intake check for oil pooling in it.....if there;s no oil your ok ... if there is oil in the air intake then chean the CDR valve

cmroles

Nothing wrong with smoke coming out from the dipstick when you pull it out... when you open the oil fill does smoke come out? yep thats right... take a look into your air intake check for oil pooling in it.....if there;s no oil your ok ... if there is oil in the air intake then chean the CDR valve
Is there any way to actually test the CDR Valve? I thoroughly cleaned it out using WD-40 as previously suggested. I pretty much filled it up and let it soak for a while then shook it around and dump out all the fluid. I also cleaned the hose that goes between the oil fill tube and CDR.

After running for about 50 miles I pulled the hose off and found more oil inside the valve! There was enough inside to drip out of the valve after the hose was removed.

I'm hoping maybe the CDR just isn't working, but I don't know of a way to test its function....thanks!

cmroles

I would try putting a new one on to see if you get the same reaction, then go from there . . . Good luck
CDR Valve has been replaced with an NOS unit I picked up.

Prior to replacing the original valve I tried cleaning it out with WD-40. I got it as clean as possible and went for a test-drive. After a few miles I pulled the breather hose off and so much oil had accumulated that it spilled out all over the valve cover...

Since the CDR was replaced I've driven about 150 miles. Last night I pulled the breather hose off the new CDR and found the inside of the rubber hose itself was dry. However, I did find a small amount of oil inside the CDR when I stuck my finger into the tube the breather hose hooks up to. There wasn't enough to dribble out, but I definitely found a little oil in there.

Is it normal to find "some" oil inside the CDR, or should it stay bone-dry? This is my first diesel, so some things like that are a mystery to me (like how much oil in the CDR is "too much").

Thanks!