• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoke from GP Relay swap. Will not cycle...

CDN-CUCV

After reading some of the related posts on this, I thought I'd post my error...

During replacement of my relay switch, I failed to disconnect my batteries prior to removal of the old switch. Voila! smoke. I installed the new GP switch and now it doesn't cycle, click, nothing. No 'wait' light either.

System had worked fine before old switch failed. Any suggestions?

Cheers.

mistaken1

And the fuses in the fuse block.

Which wire arced?

Always disconnect the front battery negative post when doing electrical work. Electrons flow from negative to positive so the batteries negatively charge the entire vehicle chassis.

When working on wiring it never fails that the positive lead that just slipped out of your hand will find metal and draw an arc.

Removing the negative lead from the front battery will de-energize the vehicle chassis so when that wire slips out of your grasp and contacts metal it will not draw an arc.

CDN-CUCV

Well, I'm back from my camping trip and ready to get at'er. Printed the diagrams and picking up a 'meter tonight.

Thanks for the replies and yeah, I'll disconnect the negative terminal this time lol!

SGT Estum

When troubleshooting a blown fusible link, note that sometimes checking for resistance (ohms) may yield false negatives.

What I mean is, the fusible link may cook through but still have some degree of contact between endpoints. If you check both ends with an ohmmeter, it could look like you've got continuity... because you do. However the wire won't be capable of carrying significant current (amps) and will act like a disconnected wire.

SGT Estum

If you eliminate fusible links and the like, I would next run through the TM troubleshooting procedures for the glow plug controller card. Lastly, check the resistor bank behind the air filter housing.