• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoke Grenade Launcher

DaninNM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have any leads on the cable from launcher control box to the four-tube launcher? I can spec the cable ends from Amphenol but I need the wiring diagram - it is not in the VLOSS manual Alsolooking for some of the spent aluminum 66mm smoke grenade tubes.....

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Anyone have any leads on the cable from launcher control box to the four-tube launcher? I can spec the cable ends from Amphenol but I need the wiring diagram - it is not in the VLOSS manual Alsolooking for some of the spent aluminum 66mm smoke grenade tubes.....
Got a couple of TM's that might help you a little.
Not exactly what you have - but at least some wiring pictures to look at.

Attachments

Crapgame

Did you find the information sought? I have an intact GMV LVOSS harness for 2 launch units, Left and Right. This version has a 2 pin cannon plug that connects to the back of the 24VDC to 12VDC InfiniD Power Inverter/Distribution Box for power, to the Arming/Firing Unit Box, then a split harness with cannon bulkhead connectors for each of the two launchers, attach mounted to the windshield frame, the tan covered "telephone" wires to each launcher were cut at the windshield frame. The exterior wiring uses 2 short cables with a cannon plug on each end, with silicone or resin molded around them for strain relief, that connect the bulkhead cannon plugs to the cannon plugs on the Launcher housings.

I see a pic of the FAV "hell box" on Navigator side with a cannon plug cable to the LVOSS on the curb side A Pillar. Sorry I can't remember who's car this is.
The M250/M243/M257/M259 FAV smoke launcher controller (GMV HMMWV is unique) has only 1 multi-pin cannon plug connector on the side, for both the 24VDC power input feed (or at least + positive lead) and power output to the capacitors inside the launchers. I used to have one but can't remember how many pins or the shell size. You would still have to draw 24VDC input power for the LVOSS from the radio mount or the dash board instrument wire harness.

Attachments

Crapgame

Arming/Firing Box side of the the cable is a MS3106R14S-6S, 6 socket Connector

Pinout: (This is from the HMMWV GMV 2x4 barrel LVOSS type cable)
A=24VDC Positive B=24VDC Negative (I don't know what you should do for circuit surge protection)
Edit: Dan In NM has the best idea so far, to use the wiper motor wires from the M151A2 front harness to power the LVOSS, to allow it to be shut off totally so some kid playing with the Arming button, doesn't leave it on, draining your battery all weekend at the Air Show, resulting in a dead battery when time comes to load up.
C=Left Red D=Left Black
E=Right Red F=Right Black

Cable to LVOSS main housing connector is a MS3106R14S-7S 3 socket connector

Inside the LVOSS main housing there is a capacitor.
A goes to the capacitor input
B grounds to the housing

Capacitor has 4 output wires, each going to the center electrode of each barrel.
Internal Capacitor Wiring.jpg

No visible part number on capacitor, it is encased in silicone/rubber for water resistance. TM 9-1040-267-20&P shows it on Figure C-2 Item 7 NSN 5905-01-094-9398 Part Number C13-12-86 Resistor Network, Fixed Wirewound. Manufacture is listed as Edgewood Chemical Biological Center EDBC

AFAIK, the aluminum LVOSS would be correct for 1980s to early 2000s military vehicles. The molded plastic launcher NSN 1040-01-454-1625 wasn't assigned until 20 March 1998.

I have a pattern almost done for having the main housing cast in aluminum, cast with a core that forms the hollow cavity for the capacitors and barrel mounting hardware. But there is no foundry local to me. I think the closest is in Birmingham, AL. Ideally by Spring there may be aluminum replica LVOSS that you can plumb for compressed air or electricity for launching pyrotechnics using flash bulbs as initiator.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks