• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoke number

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anybody have a chart or picture that represents examples of the different smoke numbers? For example, what does "smoke number 1" look like in real life?
(It's an air pollution thing)

TIA

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, it's a starting point. Found a chart...
I was concerned that the smoke from my coolant heater is a sign of a problem, but an old test report states that the exhaust may have a "smoke number of 1", while the fuel burning personnel heater has no visible exhaust smoke.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I might have a couple in my toolbox. PM me if you need one.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Will, I may take you up on the offer.
So, if there is no visible smoke, does it still get a "1"?

I'll have to run the coolant heater longer to get a feel for the exhaust, it may smoke a lot in the beginning because of the cooling effect of the coolant in the heat exchanger, which holds about a 1/4 of a gallon...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dunno? We haven't used a ringelmann in forever. I do know that on a moke meter, even if you can't see the smoke, it still registers. The lowest I have seen was a 3% opacity and that was no visible smoke.