• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoke this...

CCATLETT1984

ida34 said:
Here is the law for the Michigan guys. Excessive smoke or fumes is a no no. If it looks like you are smoking bees out of the hive someone will probably pull you over sooner or later. I have seen some guys that lay down a smoke trail like it was Omaha beach on D-day.

257.707 Muffler, engine, power mechanism, and exhaust system; requirements; prohibitions.
Sec. 707. (1) A motor vehicle, including a motorcycle or moped, shall at all times be equipped with a
muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying
smoke. A person shall not remove, destroy, or damage any of the baffles contained in the muffler, nor shall a
person use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motorcycle or moped on a highway or street.
(2) The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent
the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(3) A motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a properly operating exhaust system which shall
include a tailpipe and resonator on a vehicle where the original design included a tailpipe and resonator.
Thanks for the heads up chuck, always appreciated.
I second the question regarding "excessive" i hate when its not quantifiable, thats leaving the guy/gal in the cruiser to make a judgement call on something. That call would be very different from lets say Grosse Pointe (old,rich area) to Macomb Twp, (rural) even though its the same law. I'd rather have a X% opacity, its something that I know i can make the truck pass and not worry about some tard that wants to give me a ticket and cant find another reason. (no offense Chuck)

n1bnc

A motor vehicle, including a motorcycle or moped, shall at all times be equipped with a
muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying
smoke.

Annoying smoke??? How subjective can you get? How does a muffler prevent smoke?? What a crappy way to write a law(spec?)!!!

ida34

Chris,
I am sure you would give me plenty of other reasons.

The law is subjective just like noise statutes. I bit of black smoke coming out when nailing it would not get you pulled over. Fogging the area so the people behind you can not see you is the problem that will get you pulled over. We have all seen the car that is spreading down smoke like a destroyer smoke screen. That is the car that would get pulled over and may get a ticket. If it is causing a hazard then it is a hazard. Of course the person driving is never going to agree. If I can go in court testifying the exhaust was bad enough that it was causing a visual hazard like I could not see the persons brake lights at 30 feet then I don't think I would have a hard time getting a guilty. Remember, the officer only writes the ticket on probably cause. The judge or jury is the one or are the ones that would make the final determination so it is not just the officers "opinion" that counts. The officer has to convince at least one other person.

madsam

I live in Teller county that does not have emissions testing. But in Denver when I have come down, they have these little emissions trucks parked at the side of the road "checking emissions" (How they accurately do that at 65mph ???) My exhaust is still broke, so my smoke comes out next to my right tire. Right where their dumb detector is.. I nail the throttle when I go buy just to make sure to give them a good reading.. :twisted:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks