• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

smoke under the dash

schnackj

My deuce has been sitting in my yard for a while having not been run, I recently put new batteries in it and as I was holding the starter switch the engine was cranking and I noticed smoke started coming out from under the dash. I turned everything off and pulled the positive terminal of the battery to be safe and took a look. The two plugs (one round one square shaped) and bundle of wiring by the starter switch was all very hot. I haven't had a chance to get in there and start tinkering too much yet but I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue and fix. If it was just the starter switch shorting to ground I wouldn't expect the starter to come on and turn the engine. I wasn't holding the switch for a long time maybe around 10 seconds.

Any tips are appreciated.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always disconnect the negative wire first.

Connect it last.

Any other order is dangerous.

TGP (IL)

I doubt it was a short, not impossible, but more likely bad connections due to corrosion
In the connectors.
I would check those while looking for bare wires to ground if any.
Tom

schnackj

thanks for the tips, I'll examine the wires and connectors and make an update to help others that may see the same issue. Yes I know the safest thing is to disconnect the ground, I was rushing trying to avoid a fire and pulled the loosest connector I could find.

schnackj

Turns out it was the starter switch, I was examining the wiring and it fell apart just from pulling lightly on the wiring, there was clearly some arcing damage inside. I was able to start the truck just fine jumping the wire to the starter relay without any overheating of the wire loom. Does anyone know a good source for the rotating starter switch? Most of the ones I see for sale are the push button switches.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks