• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smokey mep002

CDR

So I ran my MEP002 the other day for an hour it's been about 2 months since I ran it. Seemed smokier then usual. Ran it hard for 20 minutes and backed it off and still light smoke with no load. Seems to run fine and take 125% load no problem just smokey.

It's doesn't bother me but it does would like it perfect if possible. Thinking the injectors could use a rebuild what do u guys recommend? How hard is it to pull them?
Thanks

R Racing

My mep003a does that on 1 cylinder until about a hr in on running then it clears up. I find in about 30 hrs I burn a bit more than 1/2 a quart of oil.

CDR

No oil burning black smoke barely notable under no load 80% visible but nothing crazy 120% it's a coal train

Isaac-1

Sounds like over fueling, could be a leaking injector, but before spending lots of money on that you might want to make sure it is not a clogged air filter making it hard for your engine to breathe.

Isaac-1

Storeman does / did do basic rebuilding on them, and they do turn up new/used on ebay from time to time, prices vary ( I picked up one off ebay last year new in box for about $40, some sellers have them for nearly 10 times that).

The nozle/holder assembly part number from Onan is 147-0136, just note internal parts are not all interchangable as they did go through at least 2 major revisions / manufacturers (Ambac and Yanmar I think)

Last edited:

CDR

There one for $300 dollars another for $520 lol then there an entire motor for $800

Store man on the air?

Isaac-1

Removal will hopefully be fairly easy, just be careful on the fittings, they tend to be very soft metal, if possible use line wrenches for better support. You will also need to remove the aluminum heat fins, these can tend to stick, penetrating oil helps, so can careful application of heat, just take it slow and try to not give in to the urge to use brute force.

p.s. the copper washers can usually be reused if you heat anneal them, hang them on a steel wire and heat them to red hot with a propane torch, then allow to air cool

rustystud

That's a neat trick about the copper washers Issac ! That's the kind of stuff that really helps the membership, not the usual look in the TM's and "Eriks" sells them kind of thing.

storeman

Ray,
I've gone hog-wild! Have a beauty of an old ideal-arc 250 (the one you referred to) , a Lincoln SP125+, 2 oxy-acet rigs (large), a 20 year old century ac/dc unit with HF unit and tig torch and ALSO a 2008 Miller 350LX Tigrunner with cooler (less than 200 hours on it). Have taken 3 welding classes and am practicing tig at home now. At nearly 71, at least I didn't buy a corvette.

Am going to sell the century and one oxy-acet rig when I get around to it. All of the units work. I just have a hard time turning away from good deals. I'm enjoying welding and figured its never too late to learn something new.
Jerry

BTW: Gimpyrobb has been watching me stumble along on the welding web. :gimp:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks