• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smokin'!

msoumas

Just drove my 09 for the first time in a couple of months. It seemed to be just fine the last time I drove it, but today I drove it the ~7 miles to work, and I started having some trouble. About halfway through the drive I started to notice a faint burning smell that I couldn't identify. I got about a half mile from the shop, and started noticing a little bit of white smoke. I decided to push on since I was right down the street, and when I pulled up I went to see what was going on and the smoke was coming out of my front driver's side wheel, which was hot to the touch. I also noticed that the truck seemed to be pulling to the right on braking. I can't take it apart until this weekend, any ideas on what to look for?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be a bad brake hose that isn't allowing the caliper to release. They will collapse internally and block the fluid. Or it could be a bad wheel bearing.

You said the divers side was hot, but was pulling to the right?

For future reference, please use a more descriptive thread tiltle. It makes it easy to use the search feature when looking for simular problems.

I thought your truck had burned up. ;-)

Last edited:

msoumas

Could be a bad brake hose that isn't allowing the caliper to release. They will collapse internally and block the fluid. Or it could be a bad wheel bearing.

You said the divers side was hot, but was pulling to the right?

For future reference, please use a more descriptive thread tiltle. It makes it easy to use the search feature when looking for simular problems.

I thought your truck had burned up. ;-)
Yeah, I found it odd too, I would have figured if the driver's side wheel was having trouble it would pull left.

Guess it's a good thing I don't need the truck to get home tonight. :roll:

Barrman

I second the brake caliper/hose problem if your pull was to the same side as the hot parts. I had this happen just a week or so ago on a USAF Suburban with the exact same parts and the exact same age as your 1009. Around $80 total for both front calipers and both front hoses fixed the problem and gives me a lot better braking. Piece of mind too.

I had already done the bearings on this truck, so I didn't get into them this time. If you have not repacked your bearings yet, now is a great time. Maybe even get the rotors turned if any run out is there.