• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoking Alt & Runaway Starter!

dieselsmokem35a2

Long story short I was having some fun in my M1008 when all the sudden it started making weird noises and almost sounded like I threw a belt. So I stopped the truck and shut it off. To my suprise the starter motor was engaged and I had no way to stop it. I popped the hood right away and tried to disconnect the batteries. The first battery came undone pretty quick because it had wing nut terminals but by the time I got to the other battery the Driver side alt started smoking and a wire on the firewall went up in a cloud of smoke as well. Havent had a chance to investigate yet. Anyone have any thoughts or have had this happen?

Garandfan

I asked my father in law about this. He had a problem like this on his ford ltd. 2 things things happened. The starter solenoid went bad and the gear never disengaged. As soon as he hit the gas, Boom! But your starter is new. My question is could the solenoid have gone because of the voltage (12 or 24, I dont remember the difference)? If the gear didn't disengage, could it have been a shim problem?:grd:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Garandfan, forget the Ford LTD as being similar to a cucv.

Shop Rat Fab, has your best bet.

dieselsmokem35a2

By the way.... I am replacing that kinked fuel line from the primary fuel filter. I can't flare pipe to save my life!!!! It's really funny.:oops:
Yeah, I hace gone through several feet of tubing myself trying to flare my lines. It's enough to make a preacher kick in a stained glass window. As for my problem...the truck had been running for 15min with no problem. It did it when I was fish tiling her around a gravel gas rig road. Maybe the rough road knocked something around? Gonna have my guy check that thing under the dash. I was looking at my Deuce today and saw I had another axel leak. Ugh! When I stuck my head behind the tire to see how bad it was I noticed that the dry rot in that tire was like a 1/4" deep and wide crack! It's only on one side and only that one tire.....but now I have to find another 15.5 x 20 tire! Grrrrrr!