• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoking Alternator: norm or not?

NJPShorelife

Just dropped in a new 60 amp alternator. Fired up and after a couple min I noticed a bit of smoke coming from the guts of it. **** down, let cool, fires back up and it did it a bit less after a 2 min idle. Then Shut down. Little smoke for a few sec. then stopped. Now as we know these new 60 amps come painted black to high heaven. Is this expected and just paint burning off something in the guts of it?

Side note:
This is the second 60 amp I installed. The first new one had about 4 hours of run time over several months, noticed in one of the window/ports on the alternator sparks /arch from area on the edge of the wire bundle in the window. Upon inspection, the internal wire bundle that we can on the edge of the windows looked cooked, ( paint was cooked off at least ) they were slightly mobile and not packed tight like a new one. I meter them upon install and all put out 28.5 V so they initially function as expected. Are these things sometimes hit or miss in the quality of their build?

papakb

Everyone knows that electronics run on the magic smoke and when it comes out things stop working................. Same with your alternator. About the only place on a HMMWV where some smoke is normal is from your tailpipe on startup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks