• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoking on start up (electrical)

pgp29646

Hope to get some direction... 86 M1009 - never have had any starting issues. Today on the third start up of the day, when turning the key after waiting for the wait light to go out - nothing. Tried again and a light click on the passenger side and then smoke - smelled electrical - lasted for 10 seconds then stopped. Felt the battery cables from the batteries down as far as I could the they were not hot to the touch. I did not get to go under the truck as it is in a big puddle and I couldn't get wet at the time. I have not done the doghead relay - I know, I know - its on the list. Still 24v starting system, new batteries this spring and again I have never had any starting issues before. What should I be looking for when I get it home? Thanks in advance for your insight/advice!

nyoffroad

Sounds like you let the magic smoke out of the starter, once it's out you can't put it back just replace with a new or rebuilt starter.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I smelled smoke during starting a few weeks ago. That was the last time that starter worked for me.

I agree with nyoffroad. Time for a new or rebuilt starter.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just checking. You do realize that fuseable links are not the same as fuses and are not found in the fuse box. Not being a wiseass, just trying to help.

pgp29646

No offence taken Firefox - I had to look it up!
So I found one of the fuse links that had fried, replaced the link and hooked the batteries back up and tried to start it up and the starter kicked in and would not stop cranking even with the key out of the ignition. Luckily I didn't have the batteries hooked up that tightly (on purpose) and was able to disconnect and shut it down. So my question - obviously the starter relay is trashed - is there anything else I need to look for after doing the doghead relay? Could the starter solenoid be shot as well?

Last edited:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a push button under the steering wheel and by passed the relay when it quit on me. Wired it right into the relay wires so I can install a new relay later if I want to.

20190915_134721.jpg

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess is that once you do the doghead mod, you will be good to go. Others may chime in with more suggestions. Let us know how things work out. Make sure you fully charge your batteries, since that run on start will have really drained your batteries.

pgp29646

Ok so I did the dog head and still once I turn the key, it continues to cycle and I have to pull the battery cables to get it to stop. What’s next? Are there any fuse links that are hidden? I can’t find one that is blown. Time to pull the starter? Thanks for the feedback!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New starter solenoid should fix the issue.
Its still trying to crank because it’s welded itself internally.
Cheap fix.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Yep.

As to the fusible links, there are a handful coming off the 12v port (diamond shaped terminal) above the GP relay, and a few coming off the 24v buss over on the passenger side.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When mounting the new starter, be sure not to forget the strap and bolt that secures the end of the starter to the truck. Also get a NEW proper set of mounting bolts that are to spec.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks