• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snagged a 2nd M1009

WalkingToFreedom402

Hello, I am relatively new to this forum but I have read hundreds of posts in my quest for information!

I joined a few months back when I bought a pretty rough '84 M1009 that had electrical issues.
I worked on troubleshooting it some & plan on looking at it again this spring.

I grew impatient with that & snagged a much nicer '85 M1009 that has already had several modifications done.
I found my '85 advertised somewhat locally & after talking to the owner I decided to go for it.

Details...
70k on the 6.2 with a 6.5 turbo setup recently added
Still rolling with the th400 & 308 gears
Previous owner did the doghead relay, added a cd player, ammo can center console, manual glow plug button, roof rack, Electric fuel pump & more

So far she has been running great! Only issue thus far was a little leak in the radiator so I stole one out of the other m1009 for now.

I'm not sure if I will keep the digital camo style Paint job...my wife hates it & I think I'd prefer something else (military themed)

I also do have the original rims (need 2 new tires & they will be back on it)

Anyways...figured I better make a post for my new favorite ride!

PS...buying this & meeting another local cucv owner on this site caused us to start a military vehicle Facebook group specific to our area. Looking forward to meeting more MV owners when we get together in 2017!

Attachments

Barrman

You have discovered first hand that military vehicles are herd animals. They are happy when there are others nearby. Beware that these two probably won't be your last.

Very clean looking turbo install. Where does the exhaust exit the truck?

WalkingToFreedom402

You have discovered first hand that military vehicles are herd animals. They are happy when there are others nearby. Beware that these two probably won't be your last.

Very clean looking turbo install. Where does the exhaust exit the truck?
Thank you everyone for the welcome! The turbo exhaust goes through the wheel well, down the passenger side frame rail & exits below the back of the passenger door. It doesn't protrude into the wheel well but you can see it.

That's been one of my questions....is that the best practice Or what other options would I have? I will probably search the forum to see what I find.

Barrman

The down pipe going through the inner fender and down the outside of the frame is pretty much common practice when fitting the 6.5 turbo to a square body.

There re are people that have made the down pipe fit inside the frame but a body lift is usually needed. Along with some floor insulation.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you eastern NE guys find yourselves in the Norfolk area, let me know...... Nice to have more fellow MV'ers out this way......

Z

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks