• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snatch block question

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The snatch blocks can be used in various configurations to gain mechanical advantage, however the type needed for "Gun Tackle" set-up seems hard to find. Has anybody spotted one of these, with the extra feature marked in the diagram below?
Should be for 5-ton truck winch (5/8" dia wire rope).

Thanks.

Attachments

Boatcarpenter

snatch block

Bjorn, I don't mean to get too technical on you here, but those don't look like "snatch blocks" by definition. They look to be just regular blocks as one would find in a rope block and tackle setup. Pics illustrate what they look like to me. Maybe yes, maybe no :?:
BC

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: snatch block

i am thinking your just have to use two regular blocks and anchor the line else where to a tree or back to truck.... just not to the shacles TIm

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The easiest way to figure max lift with a block and tackle is to count the lines between the blocks or winch. The picture is a 2-part line. Whatever your line pull is you multiply by the number of parts (lines between the blocks) and that is how much you can lift/pull. In the picture you could lift 100# with a 50# line pull. You will loose a little from friction in the rigging but not a lot.

rmgill

Attaching back to the block means you have ALL that force on that one attachment point. You're better off spreading it over several points if you can.

Between my truck and another truck, I'd prefer to have two blocks on the pulled truck and one on mine with the last line going to my other front clevis. That gives me three attachment points on my truck and 2 on the pulled truck with the load spread across several points. A double sheave block allows more dense rigging, but your attachment point needs to be up to snuff.

rizzo

rmgill said:
Attaching back to the block means you have ALL that force on that one attachment point. You're better off spreading it over several points if you can.

Between my truck and another truck, I'd prefer to have two blocks on the pulled truck and one on mine with the last line going to my other front clevis. That gives me three attachment points on my truck and 2 on the pulled truck with the load spread across several points. A double sheave block allows more dense rigging, but your attachment point needs to be up to snuff.
I agree

CT: is there a certain reason you want this type of block? any back story? You always have interesting projects going on. Whats up ?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rizzo said:
CT: is there a certain reason you want this type of block? any back story? You always have interesting projects going on. Whats up ?
Nah, just like options, in any case way too much money at this time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks