• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snatch Blocks

MrArmyAnt

So I'm waiting/trying to figure out how to get my deuce home from where I bought it so I'm gathering parts such as batteries, muffler, movable winch mounts (I just picked up a brand new 24v Warn Series 18) and am wondering where everyone is getting their snatch blocks from and at what rating. I'd like to get 2 or 3. Also who sells the recovery manual? Tried searching for some of this but I am more looking for where to buy them cheaply not how to use em. Found a link to an image with them for 82 bucks, a double block, but can't find them actually for sale. Also I was thinking about using 3/4's synthetic rope. any input?

3dAngus

I wish I could help, but sold mine. I think if you can find a snatch block for $82, you better check it out good. Doesn't sound right for a good snatch block. Make sure it isn't chinese.
And when it comes to something this critical, avoid Harbor Freight, and get mil spec.
Ebay has a deal every now and then, but you have to be patient.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, I got all of mine cheaper and they are genuine mil-surp. Get to some of the swap meet/rallys and you will find MUCH better deals.

gunboy1656

I like the cargo cover for 250, beats everywhere else that I have seen. just wonder about the condition. I could make a 300 dollar order no problem.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I bought several snatch blocks from Coleman's military surplus and used the snot out of them. Think I paid less than 40 each not including shipping. Having said all that If you are serious about synthetic line don't even think about using a surplus block, all of mine have had grooves and rough spots that would not faze a wire rope, but would kill a synthetic line. At a minimum I would want to see the block rated for double the winch pulling capacity.

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MrArmyAnt, Lettuce (don't veg on us) know what you find and where. I'm looking for reasonable snatch blocks as well, both the single and double sheave type.

Rick

spicergear

Double sheaves are cool, but I've never had need for one. Singles I could use all the time...not to double the line but to steer what's being pulled. Usually a big log up a steep bank.

Dodge man

Well darn then I need a good source for the wire rope...
Correction: I need a good source for GOOD wire rope...

The cheap imported stuff is un-rated, or worse, OVER-rated and will get you killed! There's lots of imported Indian and Chinese rope available but I won't touch the stuff! I use only GOOD American or other reliable first-world produced rope, blocks, etc. Wire rope and associated equipment isn't the place to cut corners!

FWIW I have gotten some good deals on American made blocks, etc on Flea-Bay but no rope yet.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For winch line, you want 6x19. Six major strands, made up with 19 small wires. That is standard. Many other configurations. What you get is something with the capacity for abrasion. Heavy Equipment/Rigging store. Be sitting down when you price it.

oldMan99

Here is a link that might help.

Wire Rope | IWRC

Not the only place to get this stuff but they do have a good selection and their prices seem reasonable.

Here is another one: http://www.certifiedslings.com/catalog/

I have been to their retail store in Tampa, FL. If they don't have it, you probably don't need it.

An important note is that when your shopping for snatch blocks you need to match the pulley size with your rope size. Then check to make sure the assembly is rated for the load you intend to put on it. A pulley to small or to large for your rope is not good and will cause problems. Obviously an assembly not rated for your load is a disaster waiting to happen.

Keep in mind that wire rope and snatch blocks are not exactly lightweight. (I have a double pulley assembly for the 45k pound winch on the wrecker, it takes 2 people to move it more than a couple feet.) Shipping charges are likely to be rather significant. You may want to research local suppliers for these items. Check the phone book for wire rope and call some of the local towing companies and ask them where they get their cables and where they get them repaired. Your in Norman, OK and there is a fair amount of oil field work in that area. There are likely 2 or 3 good local places to get everything you need.

Don't forget a few clevises, chokers, chains, nylon straps.. all rated for your intended use of course. You'll find these "Accessories" to be most useful when you start trying to attach cables to various loads and snatch blocks for changing directions and so forth.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought several snatch blocks from Coleman's military surplus and used the snot out of them. Think I paid less than 40 each not including shipping. Having said all that If you are serious about synthetic line don't even think about using a surplus block, all of mine have had grooves and rough spots that would't phase a wire rope, but would kill a synthetic line. At a minimum I would want to see the block rated for double the winch pulling capacity.
Yea I think Coleman's had them for $35. I bought a couple. Contacted them about getting a couple more and they said they were sold out and doubted they would have any more at that price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks