• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snorkel finished

CycleJay

Magnum,

Snorkel looks good.
But do you have a filter element in that can over the intake hole?
And, does that can over the intake hole hit the bottom of the hood when the hood comes down?
It looks a little tall to me.

By the way, it may help others that may like to do the same thing, if you do not mind.
To list details, such as materials and tools used, how long it took, costs involved, how you did it, etc.

Just my $0.02 cents

Last edited:

86M10086.2L

Looks good. I do like how your ducting attaches to the intake manifold with that can adapter. I too am looking at a similar install. But I want seamless tubing or pipe. Not sold on the PVC look yet.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
subscribed

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a proven fact, the air is much better up there. Just look at a dog when he rides in a vehicle with the window open.

Hey, that give me an idea. How about an air scoop that looks like a dog's head.

Put that on your snorkel, and smoke it...

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I knew Doghead had to comment, he has snorkel envy.

I sure hope he didn't mean like his head.......

rsh4364

was thinking of doing something similar, but would like to use a hat from sidewinder turbo kit,( the 90 degree alum.housing that bolts to intake) ..if anyone has one laying around....

Danger Ranger

I think one of the only ways it could look better would be if you took your finger off of the camera lens....lol.

IMO you should put a filter in there somewhere. Most snorkles run into the airbox, then to the engine. The air may be better up there, but there is still dust in it. Or maybe you did but didn't show it. WHICH brings me to my second point: you should post more pics, of the M1009 and under the hood.

MAGNUM

2012-11-30_11-48-33_809.jpgHad the "can" lathed out of old hydrolic cyl. Then welded a cap on. Could'nt find any other pipe the correct dimensions. It does not hit the hood. Inline air filter from Speed by Spectr sits between the batteries. Also bought the memory flex hose there.

Last edited:

twlinks

Looks cool! I'm with the others though that asked for more info on the entire mod. Maybe a write up from beginning to end, complete with pictures all the way through? You did take pics of everything you did, right? ;)

Thanks for posting this. Looks good! I am after ideas for my own but haven't taken the PVC leap yet. I'm thinking 4" diameter exhaust tubing bent at an exhaust shop from a template that I produce. I have a NOS intake cap from a Deuce but that's as far as I've gotten.

Last edited:

usmcpatriot

Yeah, really, please explain intake type and tools. Myself I'd go with bent pipe as in a exhaust config and forced air, I was qouted $80.00 for seamless pipe! But will go for pvc. Function over beauty!

JonM1009

Aside from a snorkel is there anything else you really need to do to the engine/tranny/etc to water proof them before a M1009 is ready to go water fording?