• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snorkel size for 1009

richingalveston

I am building my snorkel and I have been shopping heads. My pipe will be metal. I am trying to determine the size. 3.5 probably looks best. 4 inch looks a little large.
and 3 inch a little small.

The total length to the air filter box is about 7ft. I am installing a banks turbo with banks air filter box. it has 4 inch inlet.

I am not sure of the cfm requirements on a 6.2 turbo

All suggestions are appreciated.

Rich

zone zero

I am building my snorkel and I have been shopping heads. My pipe will be metal. I am trying to determine the size. 3.5 probably looks best. 4 inch looks a little large.
and 3 inch a little small.

The total length to the air filter box is about 7ft. I am installing a banks turbo with banks air filter box. it has 4 inch inlet.

I am not sure of the cfm requirements on a 6.2 turbo

All suggestions are appreciated.

Rich
What are you making it out of? ive had ARB Safari snorkels on several of my jeeps. I would recomend the https://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/filters/air-intake/accessories/pre-cleaners.html

Pre-cleaner for the top of the snorkel over the "scoop" style intake. You would be amazed at what the pre-cleaner collects.

i plan to make one for my 1009 I'm going to use electrical PVC and a PVC pipe heater to get all the bends so that it's one continuous 10 foot piece of pipe I can cut after with no elbows so that airflow is smooth.

you can use the charts for the CFM from there web site to help figure out pipe size.
Ive never seen a pipe size over 3 inches on anything except a large industrial truck.
Plus it won't matter much on the intake side if you "outlet" exhaust does not come close to matching in diameter.

Post pics as you go I'm interested in your design.

zone zero

Sorry I stand corrected it was 3.5 inch for the standard on the ARB intakes. If you do a search on a site called expedition portal.com you will see guys running them from all over the world
we ran some weird set ups on landrovers in Africa. But the Diesel engines are much smaller displacement.

richingalveston

I was planning on a Donaldson scoop but had looked at the 'top spin' also. The top spin looks ok and performance would be better than scoop. I plan to use metal exhaust pipe which will connect to the fender right in front of the door. The inside of the fender will be encapsulated with an exit right behind the front battery. I will not have a pipe running down the fender. I can metal fab a connection to the fender which will be slightly larger (not much wider but longer) than mirror base.

The pipe size and head are my starting point.

zone zero

I looked at running mine like that but I saw an issue with the hood spring assembly. Did you find a way around that? I'm looking for options to connect it to the intake.
It looks like over all these trucks are not the best set up for water crossings but at the heart of a snorkel that's not the idea anyway. I think you'll find an improvement with the 6.2 and the cold air it will be drinking from the top of the truck

Last edited:

zone zero

If your doing all your own welding it might be a good idea to use nut serts welded into the pipe and through bolt it from inside the fender you could seal them with silicon it would give it a real clean look with out using clips

richingalveston

I plan to weld the exterior portion of the snorkel to the fender. Behind the hood hinge there is a little over one inch wide by 8 inch gap that when boxed out is much larger than a 4 inch tube. Using some pretty thin sheetmetal and JB weld the inside of the fender will have an inner skin. There is an access door that will be rtv'd on which will be made of some thicker metal. The part behind the hinge will have a box duct in that area.

I have it layed out and have tested some of the jb weld application to the sheetmetal and everthing looks good. the biggest challenge is sealing the ends.
First steps are to get the pipe and head, next is to fabricate the connection to the fender and then I will start cutting on the fender.

I am doing this along with many other items on the truck so it is going to take a few weeks.

richingalveston

http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/CFM.html

For those interested in this thread, I found this calculator to find CFM of the 6.2 liter engine with a turbo.
It appears that the max CFM is close to 1000.

trying to find some other info or calculators to confirm.

richingalveston

found many other calculators and all range from 600 to 1000 on the high side.

The pre-cleaners for this much air flow are to large. I think I have to go back to looking at snorkel heads with 4 inch pipe.

zone zero

found many other calculators and all range from 600 to 1000 on the high side.

The pre-cleaners for this much air flow are to large. I think I have to go back to looking at snorkel heads with 4 inch pipe.

that sounds huge I know the pre cleaners in that size range are expensive have you considered building one and doing a test 3-1/2 to 4 inch is going to be a big difference . What size do the hummvee Come with???? That's what I would look at first

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put a snorkel on my play truck with a turbo 6.5. I used 4" DWV PVC pipe and it worked fine. It didn't affect the performance either way.

richingalveston

So far no luck on ram air heads with 4 inch pipe.
Donaldson's website shows 6 inch the smallest they have.
The pre-cleaners are going to be to large for the cfm needs.
I will have a semi pre-cleaner in the fender. The fender duct will be much larger than the down pipe and the pipe that connects the fender to the air cleaner. This will create a place for large items and some water to drop out of the air stream. (I may have to vacuum out for maintenance)

I think 4 inch pipe is best but most popular heads are 3 and 3.5 inch. I am still searching.
Any one put a 3.5 inch pipe on a 6.2 turbo?

zone zero

I'll defiantly need pics of this .

have you you considered looking at farm equipment supplies for a pre cleaner top?
they always have weird stuff for equipment

richingalveston

No luck so far with a 4 inch snorkel head. I have lots of other things to do so I am still searching but it goes from 3.5 to 5 inch. cant find anything between those.

current state of motor refresh; head bolts are replaced and valve covers painted and re-installed.
I am waiting on the IP and injectors and return lines which should be here tomorrow from badger diesel.

current parts list sitting on the table waiting to be installed:
new radiator CU850, new fan clutch, new hoses, new thermostat, new water pump, two coolers for hydraulic oil (there are two return lines, one from brakes and one from steering). new trans cooler. All gaskets on top of motor. Banks turbo, banks exhaust manifold, block off plate with return line connection, electric fuel pump, new fuel lines, spin on fuel filter. banks air filter housing with K&N filter.

I still need: new trans cooler lines from trans to radiator, considering an oil cooler also.

Previous work included the glow plugs and harmonic balancer.

I just got the ORD high clearance cross member and competition motor mounts back from the powder coater. Just did black, no fancy colors.

I hope to have things back together in a couple of weeks and ready to go to the exhaust shop.

zone zero

Hey so I just found out today that catipilar makes a 4 inch pre cleaner you can get from any cat dealer. I'll be doing a snorkel now that I've found a source for a 4 inch pre cleaner. How's your build coming?

richingalveston

it is sitting in the garage in parts since I had a bunch of work start. I am a general contractor and I working about 2 hours away from my truck right now.
I do a lot of work for Texas A&M university and all the kids just left so I am busy until they get back.

I will get a weekend or two but it could be august before I get back to work on the truck

Post up the info on the cat precleaner. I somewhat ruled out the precleaners because of size. A four inch inlet normally means the thing is 12 inches or larger in diamaeter and 12 inches tall. My blazer would look like it is wearing a sombrero.

If you found a small one I would be interested.

thanks
rich